Trusted Contributor

Has anyone ever cut off the hem of a maxi dress with spandex? If so, what did you use?

I have several maxis that I would love to make shorter ( 4 inches) and was wondering what you used to cut the material?  I was reading suggestions on the internet and it was mentioned to use rotary cutters. Thanks in advnce ladies!

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever cut off the hem of a maxi dress with spandex? If so, what did you use?

[ Edited ]

@crawford5153    Scissors!  I wouldn't think of using a rotary cutter for this purpose. It's best if you use a yardstick and have someone measure around the hem while you're wearing it to make sure it's straight. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever cut off the hem of a maxi dress with spandex? If so, what did you use?

If you don't have a rotary cutter, use good scissors.  

If it has spandex in it you just need to be careful that aren't stretching the fabric as you are cutting it because it will make for a wonky hem when you go to hem it.

Respected Contributor

Scissors should work but make sure they are sharp.   Buy a new pair if necessary.  Some knits tend to roll up at the cut edge,  this is tricky to work with but it can be done.

Honored Contributor

Not a dress - but I've cut off the bottom of a LOGO knit tunic w/spandex.  

I used pinking shears.  The edge was fine - even after washing.

Honored Contributor

@crawford5153 

Here you can get a skirt/dress hemmed for around $20.00.  They measure it on you if you would like, mark it all the way around, cut, hem finish, and hem.

You would have an expert job to enjoy.  With the cost of good scissors, you're half way there.

Honored Contributor

Dressmakers' Shears

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I've tried a few times to cut knits and each time created a mess.  As someone mentioned, be careful not to stretch the material, even slightly.  I've never done a perfectly straight cut.  I've tried to even things.  Never worked.

I watched a video with pinking sheers and while it was easier and mistakes didn't show, I didn't want a zig-zag edge.

Honored Contributor

It's difficult to cut straight with any scissors because of the offset blades.  I'd go to a professional if you want it to wear out and about.  Or if you really care about how the hem will look. 

Honored Contributor

The best affordable dressmaker shears?  Maybe a short list.

Thank you ahead of time.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).