Trusted Contributor

Re: Handbags - Gold tone vs. Gold plated Hardware

I also have lots of Kate Spade handbags (last count maybe 30) and the majority of them have gold hardware - it looks rich & beautiful.  Kate Spade bags are gorgeous and beautifully made.  I prefer the gold hardware - always did.  Even their apparel & shoes/boots are very high quality and great style.  I have lots of KS apparel.  Its my favorite brand.  Never had a problem with the gold hardware changing color, chipping.  My older bags still look gorgeous.

Honored Contributor

@Danielle46 wrote:

I also have lots of Kate Spade handbags (last count maybe 30) and the majority of them have gold hardware - it looks rich & beautiful.  Kate Spade bags are gorgeous and beautifully made.  I prefer the gold hardware - always did.  Even their apparel & shoes/boots are very high quality and great style.  I have lots of KS apparel.  Its my favorite brand.  Never had a problem with the gold hardware changing color, chipping.  My older bags still look gorgeous.

Shoekitty said

Love Kate Spade!! Just ordered the Maise in Gray this weekend for a special price from Kate Spade online.  Her hardware is gold plated, and it lasts forever.  I have had bags for years and hardware still looks new, never tarnishes.  At least not the ones I have!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The gold hardware on all of the Kestenberg bags really bothered me.  With the popularity of silver jewelry the past few years, my eyes became accustomed to the silver hardware on handbags.  I think the gold tone looks brassy and cheap.  I won't even consider a bag with the gold tone.  It seems to dominate the appearance of the bags.

I prefer little hardware myself.  I thought her bags should have had silver on the gray, and the wine.  They should use more of a pewter, and if it is antiqued silver, it doesn't show wear.  Cool tone bags should have a cool metal.  A bright gold metal on some of those colors is because it was cheaper to do so, not because it looked best.

I prefer a deep pewter on gray and black, but black always comes in gold or silver.  Some designers seems to work with one metal though.  I love Kate Spade and Tory Burch but all their bags have gold hardware, or they do no visible hardware, and the logo in gold.  That is better.