Valued Contributor

Handbags - Gold tone vs. Gold plated Hardware

I have a number of Kate Spade handbags and the hardware is gold plated.  All of the handbags that I see on the Q are gold tone or silver tone.  Which lasts longer?  Is there even a difference?

Honored Contributor

Re: Handbags - Gold tone vs. Gold plated Hardware

The gold hardware on all of the Kestenberg bags really bothered me.  With the popularity of silver jewelry the past few years, my eyes became accustomed to the silver hardware on handbags.  I think the gold tone looks brassy and cheap.  I won't even consider a bag with the gold tone.  It seems to dominate the appearance of the bags.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

"Gold tone" means that there is no gold at all. It is just the color of precious metal gold. "Gold plated" means that there is actual a precious ,eta

gold exterior on top of a base metal. With gold plated, you get actual gold but poorly made gold plated things chip over the years to reveal the base metal color under it. Gold tone has no precious metal but if it scratches, it shouldn't be as noticeable since gold tone hardware is gold-colored all the way thru. 

HTH

Respected Contributor

if if own a brown or any color bag in the brown family i want goldtone hardware on it and that goes with any other warm color too.  silvertone looks better on the cooler toned bags.  that is how i decide which jewelry to wear also. 

it may be just a pet peeve of mine or old fashioned, but i like to stick with this concept.  i think it looks nicer.  black bags i have with both gold and silvertone though.

Respected Contributor

I only do silvertone hardware so I save lots of money on bags from Q. Most of the lines (especially the GILI) one are all goldtone hardware. Why do they limit their sales this way? There are a lot of silvertone lovers like me out there and if it's goldtone I pass. I LOVE my silver Coach so I guess I'll stick with that.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

I don't have or buy any handbags with gold tone or gold plated hardware. IMO, it always looks cheap.

Trusted Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I only do silvertone hardware so I save lots of money on bags from Q. Most of the lines (especially the GILI) one are all goldtone hardware. Why do they limit their sales this way? There are a lot of silvertone lovers like me out there and if it's goldtone I pass. I LOVE my silver Coach so I guess I'll stick with that.Woman Happy

I think that is because they like to copy higher end designer brands.  Personally I do think it looks richer but as someone else mentioned, I like silver hardware with a cooler color bag.  One of my Oryany bags is a pale blue with silver hardware and looks great.

As for difference between plated and toned, I think they are sometimes used interchangeably and not the way they are referenced in the jewelry industry.  My gold "plated bag" from Kate Spade has started to fade while a cheapie tote from Marshalls that I got years ago is still a beautiful pale gold color hardware with no changes.  Go figure!

Trusted Contributor

I do not think gold looks cheap unless the hardware is made cheaply and that goes the same for silver. I have and enjoy both. I just can't stand when designers cut corners and put plastic zippers.
Honored Contributor

I own several Kate Spade bags (purchased on sale) and her gold looks way better than aimee's.  I really prefer silver tone with gray bags but even Kate Spade still uses the gold tone with gray but that is their signature hardware color.  The aimee bags look so cheap with that gold.  I only like gold with black leather. 

Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I think that if the description ends in "tone" then generally silvertone is less apt to wear down or fade.  My preference is antique brass; I've had bags with this for years...still look like new. I like all hardware, though; some days are gold days, some silver, lots of mixing the two. (My closet is integrated, and when it comes to jewelry I'm bi-metal.)