Super Contributor

Hand knit look: but open weave

I tried on a sweater yesterday that I loved but I didn't buy it because it was an open weave (see through knit).  I know you can wear camis and such underneath these garments but I just want something to toss on and go in the mornings.  I wish designers would put a lining underneath these sweaters.  This is my latest fashion pet peeve! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hand knit look: but open weave

Yes, I know what you mean.  A lot of these things mean you have to buy and wear another layer.  Usually not something that I want to do.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Sweaters like that I always catch on something and get pulls all over it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why couldn't you wear a lightweight camisole under it?  

I have several camisoles in various shapes and colors that I wear under sweaters and see-thru blouses.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I don't like to layer up often because it can make me feel too hot, and there is nothing to do except be too hot because the under-shirt isn't ok by itself if the outer one is taken off.

Another thing about loosely woven garments, they can stretch out over the bust which isn't a good look.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I love that look and make almost all my handknits that way.  

With the loose knit - it allows me to wear different color pieces under the knit.  

I just finished knitting an ivory random lace knit oversized sweater ... looks absolutely fantastic with different color tops underneath.  

If you want sweaters that don't need a liner - check LandsEnd.  I don't like knitting "ordinary" sweaters, so I buy them from LandsEnd.

Respected Contributor

I love these sweaters but don't think they are very practical.  Your arms will get cold if it is chilly out, and you will get warm all over if it is warm outside.  You can't win.  Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen someone wear on in real life.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

@godi 

So true .... you have to really careful about your handbag - the sweaters can snag on zippers, on belt buckles,  etc.  

They take a bit of care when wearng.  For me - it's worth the extra effort to be careful.

Honored Contributor

A simple tee shirt in a co-ordinating color works.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@godi wrote:

@godi 

So true .... you have to really careful about your handbag - the sweaters can snag on zippers, on belt buckles,  etc.  

They take a bit of care when wearng.  For me - it's worth the extra effort to be careful.

@ALRATIBA   Not to mention wearing jewelry.