Honored Contributor

Re: Halston Article In People Magazine

In the 1960s, a friend who became a psychiatrist (who was also gay) befriended many famous people who were his clientele/patients.  Not wanting to wear their clothing more than once in public, he asked that some who wanted to give their clothes away, give him the clothes.  I was the benefactor of several Halston dresses which I, otherwise, would not have been able to afford.  I loved them but moreover loved the childhood friend and his generosity and friendship until the end, when he, too, died of AIDS.  He has been missed for his kindness and loyalty through the years. It was in the mid to late 1980s that he died. 

Trusted Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken

(I've already told you that you have the best screen name on the entire Forum! 💙)

Great story...do you still have those original Halston dresses? They are HIGHLY collectable, especially with original buttons, inside label, etc. He is one of the most revered American designers ever, especially globally.
Honored Contributor

I didn’t realize he was born & raised in Des Moines.

Just reinforces the fact if your dream is strong enough,

you can be anything! 

Honored Contributor

Back in the day, Halston's fragrance was quite lovely.  His clothes were expensive when he first appeared and his name was everywhere.  AIDS is such an awful disease and took so many lives, including a few of my friends.  May they all rest in peace.  His name will live on forever...

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@NameAlreadyTaken

(I've already told you that you have the best screen name on the entire Forum! 💙)

Great story...do you still have those original Halston dresses? They are HIGHLY collectable, especially with original buttons, inside label, etc. He is one of the most revered American designers ever, especially globally.

@MarnieRez3  Waaaaahhhh.  No, I gave them away when I got pregnant with my first child.  I felt like I would never shrink again.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Back in the day, Halston's fragrance was quite lovely.  His clothes were expensive when he first appeared and his name was everywhere.  AIDS is such an awful disease and took so many lives, including a few of my friends.  May they all rest in peace.  His name will live on forever...

@Katcat1  I wore the cologne, was a whisky color brown and in a squatty looking bottle with an ivory colored lid.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1  I wore the cologne, was a whisky color brown and in a squatty looking bottle with an ivory colored lid.

Yes!  I wore it and loved it too.  

Valued Contributor

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE THEATER......SUNDAY, AUG. 25TH IT WILL BE SHOWN ON CNN.......watch it - I will.....

Valued Contributor

@ JELLYBEAN

Sunday Aug. 25th at 7 PM in the evening this will be shown on CNN

Trusted Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken

Darn!!! If only, right?? Cameron Silver would have bought those dresses from you for his resale shop!!

@KitCat1

Omg...I wore that cologne for YEARS and forgot all about it. As soon as you all mentioned the whiskey colored perfume with the ivory top, it flashed in my memory.