Honored Contributor

Re: Half Cashmere, half silk

@CatsyCline wrote:

Too bad about the iron... Good silk should not wrinkle much while wearing.  After laundering, the garment should still have some body.   Would much prefer to iron silk over rayon.

Washed silk - aka Sandwashed silk,  is great, it has a relaxed fit and soft hand. Hang to dry on the shower rod. Maybe a touch up on the collar and cuffs.  Was used with the relaxed silhouette back in late 80s-90s. I had a quilted  baseball jacket and 2 gorgeous silk Anoraks from a mall store.  wish i'd kept them! 

my .o2 : don't ever dump your good  leathers and investment pieces.

@CatsyCline

Back in the early 70's I had a one of a kind all silk skirt and blouse in the most beautiful floral on navy background.  I don't recall ever having to iron it.  Wish I still had it.  Is probably in the top 5 things I have ever owned.  It was gorgeous.

*sigh*

Valued Contributor

I had a beautiful grey silk cashmere sweater set which I wore for years. It was very durable and low maintenance, a wonderful fabric. It was one of the best bargains I scored at Filene’s Basement (I really miss that store). Unfortunately I had to donate it after losing weight since it was very fitted at the waist it no longer  looked good on me.  One of the only downsides of losing weight was having to let go of wonderful pieces like those sweaters.

Honored Contributor

I would like it in black but I would not even pay the sale price!!!!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Beautiful sweater, @songbird.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

Sigh, I miss natural fibers!

Anyone remember ‘Precious Fibers’?

I sure do! I check ebay and find NWT all the time (over 100 listed today). I guess there are a lot of Q shoppers who buy stuff and never wear it and their kids end up selling it......so wear it ladies or someone like me gets to wear it first! Also check out hemp clothing....beautiful natural fabric!

Honored Contributor

Silk is still a huge seller, mostly in Asia and Africa.  In India Sari are either cotton (for everyday wear) or silk (special occasion, and weddings.)  In India you just have to wear natural fibers as the heat is too great to wear artificial fabrics. 

Honored Contributor

That is my favorite blend for sweaters.  I do not like 100% cashmere as it is too easy to ball and pill but with the silk added, it seems not to ball and pill.  I absolutely love that combination.  I am not mesmerized by this particular sweater but give me a turtle neck that is part cashmere and part silk anyday to one that is 100% cashmere.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline wrote:

Too bad about the iron... Good silk should not wrinkle much while wearing.  After laundering, the garment should still have some body.   Would much prefer to iron silk over rayon.

Washed silk - aka Sandwashed silk,  is great, it has a relaxed fit and soft hand. Hang to dry on the shower rod. Maybe a touch up on the collar and cuffs.  Was used with the relaxed silhouette back in late 80s-90s. I had a quilted  baseball jacket and 2 gorgeous silk Anoraks from a mall store.  wish i'd kept them! 

my .o2 : don't ever dump your good  leathers and investment pieces.

NAT:  Agree with Mimosa.I have silk blouses that I have had for years.  I use hand-wash setting in my washer in the fabric bag.  I take them out, place flat on towel to dry and then hang on hangers when near dry and use the handheld steamer which I bought from HSN to remove any wrinkles.  That's not a lot of work.  If that is a lot of work, then you probably would not appreciate silk enough to go to through those simple steps.