Valued Contributor

“Hairdo”. Do You? Do you colour your hair?

Has anyone purchased one of the wigs from Hairdo or Neicy Nash & now, Toni Britton. (Forgive me if I misspelt their names!)
I am curious about them, first off. They look fun & appear well made. At least the “Hairdo” ones did. I wish nice wigs like that were available when my Mum was dying of cancer many years ago. She couldn’t afford a human hair one and we had 2 little ones on a tight budget. We found that the ACS will subsidise new synthetic wigs for much less than any store. So, back in 1997 that’s what we did. My God, how I still miss her ever so much! I digress........
ANYWAY~They didn’t have a colour that matched my hair at all, even if I wanted one in the wig selection they presented last night. They need a platinum blonde undertone with true medium blonde as the base.
My hair started to go grey in my 30’s!!! Back then, we were all “frosting” our hair. So, until I decided to stop colouring it as I let it grow out & out, midway down my back ( I was re-enacting the 70’s!), I slowly became nearly completely grey.
I was embracing it~but my family wasn’t! When I saw a photo of myself & my dear grandson at my last bday dinner, it started to get to me. A proud 58 years young & taking good care of everything else but my hair!
So, the young woman who does both my daughters hair & mine suggested cutting it into a contemporary bob & doing ‘low’ lights, that would make the grey look more like a highlight. I caved & glad I did. I get so many complements on it and it takes half the time to blow dry than when it was long. There is maintenance & the cost but, like the old saying goes....”I’m worth it”!!
My hair is baby fine, silky to the point that a swim cap pops off when I do aqua therapy for some ortho problems. It’s hysterical ~ as I swim, it climbs higher & higher off my head & eventually just pops off. It’s a salt water pool so, no chemicals to worry about.
SO, I wonder if the wigs would even stay on? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE; if you’ve tried one and want to share I’d love to know your experiences or thoughts on the wigs & colouring ones hair vs., going naturally grey.
It’s something we all face at some time in our lives~I would love the community’s opinions. THANKS!!
🌼🐇🌼
Respected Contributor

Re: “Hairdo”. Do You? Do you colour your hair?

I have to wear a wig all the time. A good site is wigs.com, to see colors and styles.

Re staying on, I sew a “tuxedo “ clip in back, sometimes on sides to secure wig.These are available in beauty supply stores.

They are very comfortable, lightweight and easy to maintain.

Mine is layered,( not too short or hair will show), slightly dark rooted brown with blond streaks, highlights.

Love these type wigs, I had human hair lace cap $4000 wigs. Donated 8 of them because these are so much easier to style, wear.

QVC is a good place to try wig since you have 30 day return policy.

Honored Contributor

@Gemspirit, your shorter, low-lighted hair sounds beautiful. If you can afford the update, I'd keep it that was for as long as you can.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have to wear “ spare hair” due to hereditary baldness. I have had hair in all different price ranges and I’m running out of room to store all of these styrofoam heads and hair. I do have two Hairdo brand, (not from the Q ) and Ilove them. It’s fun to have so many choices. I even have fun fixing the hair on the styrofoam heads, in different styles. 😊

Honored Contributor

My hair is light silver. I frost it with platinum highlights 3 times a year. It is very subltle. When my hair is wet it has S curls. I spray it with elnet while it is wet and viola, instant curls ,when it is dry. Easy as pie

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

My hair is light silver. I frost it with platinum highlights 3 times a year. It is very subltle. When my hair is wet it has S curls. I spray it with elnet while it is wet and viola, instant curls ,when it is dry. Easy as pie

@cherry  Out of curiosity, since my hair is white/silver, why do you highlight it w/ platinum? Doesn’t that add a blonde tone?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My hair is not grey yet.  It's a medium brown, but I love high lights put in it.  So that's the only coloring I have and I never do anything myself..  Just go to the salon.  I go once every othere month or so.  To get it cut.

Honored Contributor

I have very fine hair - back in the 70's when I was a young nurse we werre not allowed to let our hair touch our collar but my fine hair wouldn't stay in the clips or bands I used to try to hold it up.It was, as was the style then, very long & straight. So, I started wearing a short style  synthetic wig to work to keep my hair contained. That worked very well for me. The wigs stayed in place easily. Since I always showered right after work I would just wash my hair and comb it straight , and I'd be all ready for whatever we had planned for the evening.When I'd run into someone I only knew from work, they would be shocked to see my long, straight ,red hair instead of the short curly hair I had at work.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  no she just strips the color, and adds no toner. I don't have a yellow  problem with my hair

Honored Contributor

I wore wigs for the 5 months I was on chemo--LOVED them !!! But they weren't from any of the brands OP listed. Went to a local wig shop  for 1, then got 2 more from the cancer store at the hospital. They were all different styles and variations of my original color. All were easy to wear  and looked great. I donated them back to the hospital when my hair grew back. I have been coloring my hair every so often now and need another one soon. I go to a salon of course. Can't seem to get the hang of doing it myself.