Respected Contributor

Yes there are rules and we ARE expected to follow them and abide by them. We agreed to them and we are bound by them. If we do not we get time out or we get banned, plain and simple.  Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Regular Contributor

I don't mind it so much. It's either just a tactic of which there are many or they really do want the item. Either way, neither one of them makes me want the item more. And has been said already, if they really want something that sells out, I'm sure they can still get one.

I mean really, how many of us has put something aside if you worked in retail so you made sure you got it or you 'hid' something in a dep't store only to return later to buy it. It happens all the time.

For me, it's no big deal. Their money is just as good as mine for an item purchased. And really...just how many hosts are there compared to shoppers. This is a very incredible very teeny tiny miniscule number.

Honored Contributor

That one item Shawn was supposedly ordering was brand new. 

Very recently, Pat commented again, as has been done by a number of hosts in the past, that if an item in their show is brand new, they aren't allowed to orded it until after they get off the air because the customer is supposed to get first dibs.

Then you hear hosts say they ordered something brand new from their show prior to coming on the air, and you hear them supposedly ordering while on the air, which I don't think is really happening.  They really should try and keep their stories straight. 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Whenever I hear that it's totally a turn-off because I figure first, the item must not be selling very well; and, second, it's insulting to the consumer on two levels:  the host thinks we simply 'adore' them so we'll buy; and, the host believes we're really stupid and believe all of the whoppers they tell!

I'd be pleased to be given product information.  Like today, checking out the tsv many wondered whether or not to size up.  I didn't listen to all the presentations, but am certain this information was never given to the consumer.  Instead in the presentation I caught the vendor gladly gave a presentation of the history of the company!  Very valuable information I think, along with which colors the vendor and hosts are going to "purchase" - don't you agree?

@eddyandme

I'm not sure WHAT  the host believes, and don't know how you could know, either.

Nevertheless, whether any host orders something or not doesn't influence whether or not I will buy.   Not in the least!

If I don't like something, I'm not going to buy it anyway because the host likes it.   Who does that?

Honored Contributor

@White Diamond wrote:

Jayne Brown does this all the time and even gives someone her credit card to order for her and hollers what item and size she needs.  She is very unprofessional anyway.  Leah Willuams is one of the most professional hosts along with being very classy.   Since Jayne is her friend one would think Jayne could learn something from Leah, but NO.  Jayne just likes to be seen and heard as she is  LOUD.

@White Diamond

I don't understand why you think that. just because they are friends,  you would expect Jayne to mimic Leah.   That happens in grade school, but grown women don't do that.   Makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think it's often a selling gimmick like "I own this...".   They know what's in their shows and if they really wanted something, they'd order it before the show. 

@chrystaltree

Exactly!

ITA

People are buying less on QVC so therefore they are resulting to these insulting sales tactics.

QVC wouldn't be offering free shipping on TSV's in August if their sales were up.   They also would not have had a couple days of "decent" sales on some pieces whereas they had items 50% off that were not "as is".

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

Re: HOSTS ORDERING

[ Edited ]
Sparklestar, I think that because I've been watching QVC for a long time now and I remember the hosts of years ago saying they had to wait to order the item they were presenting after the customers have ordered and if anything is left then they can order. The newer hosts today are always asking there producer to order for them.
Respected Contributor

Yes it is a ploy when the host yells out to her producer to PLEASE order this for her. We are supposed to think whatever it is, is selling out and we better "run" to the phone. 

I can handle  the antics going on and find most to be amusing BUT when we start hearing "but wait" if you order right now we will give you two for the price of one, just pay shipping and handling, then I will have to find somewhere else to shop.Heart

Just wait people it is coming just wait and see. Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

Honestly, I think the hosts are just running out of things to say and this is just something to say in order to fill time.  After 28 years (I believe, QVC has been around this long.) you can only say so much about an item.  There are lots of stale lines:  "building a wardrobe," "$20 bill alert,"  "something to wear while pumpkin picking," "made to fit a women's body," blah, blah, blah.  

Honored Contributor

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

Yes it is a ploy when the host yells out to her producer to PLEASE order this for her. We are supposed to think whatever it is, is selling out and we better "run" to the phone. 

I can handle  the antics going on and find most to be amusing BUT when we start hearing "but wait" if you order right now we will give you two for the price of one, just pay shipping and handling, then I will have to find somewhere else to shop.Heart

Just wait people it is coming just wait and see. Heart

@happygolfcartrider

You do know that ordering online is faster than ordering by phone ... right?

"Ordering right now and we'll give you two" .... funny!