Trusted Contributor

Figured out I hadn't bought a new bra in about 5 years. I was fitted once about 10 years ago and I have lost about 15 pounds in the last 2 years. So while I was at Walmart this morning, I bought (after trying it on) an inexpensive wirefree bra (Warners Blissful Benefits). Unfortunately, all they had were ugly colors and I guess I need to update my bra wardrobe, so now I'm shopping online for a cute wirefree Bali. Must be I'm not the only one who hates bra shopping, as all my girlfriends I told about this said they hate it too. So, my question is this: have you had a bra fitting recently, do you shop online for what you figure your size is, or do you try on & then buy?

Honored Contributor

I agree--shopping for bras along with bathing suits is the worst.  I've never had a bra fitting.  I try some on and when I find one I like, buy multiples.  Bali is my current favorite.  I've read on these forums how having a bra fitting can be an eye opener.  Maybe one of these days!

Esteemed Contributor

Bras never fit everyone and trying them on is a must for me. Even brand name bras fit differently from style to style even when you know your size. I've tried on bras that I'm spilling out the side underarms. I've had bras that the top of the cup is gaping. Bras that are too tight in the band. Stretch bras that are too small. Fit is an issue.

Trusted Contributor
I agree. That's why I can't imagine buying one from QVC. I wish I could. That would be great to just order one and have new bras without the hassle. I ordered one once and it was not even close.
Esteemed Contributor

I like Breezies and know what size I wear.  I also like to shop online at ThirdLove and wear a different size with their lines.  What I have found is that just because a bra is expensive does not mean that it will be comfortable.  I have been measured at specialty stores with the size being the same as Breezies and bras being expensive, and in the end, I do not find them comfortable after a few hours.  It can be very difficult to find comfort in the correct size.  My suggestion is to find a brand and style that you like and stick with it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I was fitted also, and typically only buy Wacoal because of how comfortable and well made they are, but they're also a higher price.  I recently discovered a company called Knixwear - no wires - the price is comparable to Wacoal.  If you go to their website, (it's Knixwear dot com), you can see how they're made and why, they claim, you won't want to take their bra off [lol] .  They also offer a standard guide for measuring.  

Honored Contributor

I hated it way back in the dark ages when I didn't know what size I really wore and I didn't understand that I need a wardrobe of bras to work with the various tops and dresses I own.  20 years ago an more sophisticated friend clued me to getting my real bra size and that made all the difference.  I've lost 55lbs in the past year and I had been wearing Genie bras.  I was ready to think about real bras again.  So I went into one of those $$$$ bra stores in the mall and pretended I was going to buy one of their bras,  I got professionally measured.  I asked a lot of questions.  Glad I went, I thought I wore a 38C or D but I actually wear a 38DD.  I bought 3 bras from Herroom and they fit like a dream.  No bulging, no digging in, great uplift.  If I'd bought 38C's, they wouldn't have fit well and right now I'd be complaing about how much I hate bras and how they just fit me.

Honored Contributor

Ladies, in the fall I believe it's Wolcol that will be at major dept stores.  If you let them do a  fitting, they'll donate to breast cancer research.  Just check Wolcol's site. 

Honored Contributor

@joannecha

My personal saga has been to try and send back every bra ever made -- and now, 3 months later, I know what to expect.

I then purchased many in two styles that are being discontinued that do the job.

It has always been a chore, I think.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

Figured out I hadn't bought a new bra in about 5 years. I was fitted once about 10 years ago and I have lost about 15 pounds in the last 2 years. So while I was at Walmart this morning, I bought (after trying it on) an inexpensive wirefree bra (Warners Blissful Benefits). Unfortunately, all they had were ugly colors and I guess I need to update my bra wardrobe, so now I'm shopping online for a cute wirefree Bali. Must be I'm not the only one who hates bra shopping, as all my girlfriends I told about this said they hate it too. So, my question is this: have you had a bra fitting recently, do you shop online for what you figure your size is, or do you try on & then buy?

I get fitted every year at Notdstrom's.  I buy my bras during the anniversary sale.  The Chantelle that I buy is about $30.00 cheaper than the rest of the year.  I haven't had to change sizes for about 3 years now,