Honored Contributor

Guys always look so comfortable in their clothes.

It makes me think of Woopie Goldberg and she always looks comfortable in her clothes. I think I'm comfortable in mine, but I am wondering if it might not be fun to get sloppier and in roomier clothing and go with that for the new retired look. LOL. I'm joking. But it does look so comfortable. Just a thought.

Do you have a sloppy/comfortable clothing day for yourself? We had the dress down Fridays a few years ago. Do that do that anymore?

Honored Contributor

Re: Guys always look so comfortable in their clothes.

Well I'm not wearing it if it's not comfy. There is a way to dress casual comfy without looking sloppy.

Guys have it made since all they wear is pants & shirt for the most part. They don't have to look for clothes for curvy figures, breasts, rears, etc. LOL!!!

1st job I applied for out of high school they had a dress code where you had to wear dresses, hose, heels etc. I thought I think not. I told them I was not interested in their job. I was not working at a place where the men are gawking at the women's legs + every day. 

Respected Contributor

I think Whoopie looks sloppy.

I like to be comfortable with what I'm wearing, but I don't want to look sloppy.  If I'm doing yard work or house work, I probably may look sloppy.

There is a way to be comfortable without looking sloppy.  I think when you wear your clothes one or two sizes too big, very oversized clothing, that to me looks sloppy. 

That's just me...

Trusted Contributor

I am retired and I live a simple country life on a road not traveled much once school starts. My road is only 2 miles long but it is the road traveled from a camp ground to a state park and a paved walking trail cuts thru my property.   Except for today.  Large dump trucks have been going back and forth all day and they are especially noisy coming and going at the intersection making their rt hand turn.  I have on my usual loose tshirt, jeans and sandals.  It is a hot day again.  No complaints.   If I wanted to go to the store I would take my bun down and put on a different shirt.  My daily makeup is serum, moisturizer, 319 and tinted spackle.  Maybe add mascara and lipstick to leave the house.  A few years ago Woopie owned property in my area and I frequently saw her around the village and in the city about 10 miles away.  What you see is what you get.   Very casual, smiling and pleasant.  She may still be here.  Since retiring I have no need to go to town or the city much.  I still have most of the dressy work outfits but there is no need to put them on while I wander and work in my little domain.  If you call loose and comfortable sloppy that is OK.  On your time, in your " place" be as sloppy as makes you comfortable.   Enjoy this new stage in your life to the fullest, turn off that darn alarm and sleep late once in a while, take time for all those things you never had time for and don't feel guilty.  You earned it.  Make more beautiful memories to last the rest of your life.  Someday,if we are lucky, we will be able to draw on those memories when our mobility declines and we have to spend time in our grandmother's rocking chair.  Yes.  I still have my great grandmother's rocking chair.  It has rocked 6 generations and going strong.    It is loved and has help spread much love.  Our newest is now 3 months old. 

Honored Contributor

When I worked I wore scrubs everyday. Since I had to change as soon as I got to work, I  and all of my fellow workers wore jeans or shorts everyday. There is a lot to be said for working in comfort, and not having to plan your outfits for a week, and when you do get dressed up ,it's a big deal.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

No I have no desire to go around looking like sloppy and poorly dressed.  Whoopie has always dressed oddly, she has always dressed unattractively.  Now she wears grandpa clothes.   Buy that woman a bra!  I don't really understand the "comfort" thing.  I buy clothes that fit me and whatever style I am wearing on a patricular day, I'm always comfortable.  I don't care for the athleisure look but if I did, I'd manage to do it in an attractive and fashionable way.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You can be comfortable without looking like  slob.  I am retired and sometimes on the go and sometimes not so much  It just makes me feel better if I take some effort with my appearance. 

Esteemed Contributor

Men appear comfortable in their clothes, b/c they have no poor body image. It doesn't matter if they have a beer belly, big gut, sloping shoulders, big rear, well...they think they look great no matter. They don't worry about covering this or that or hiding this or that. They choose right size, good colors and think they look magnificent.. Just like we should!

I love to look good casually. Dressed semi or formally, I'm never comfortable. Athleisure is my time to shine!

Honored Contributor

Honey, I try to be as comfortable as possible every single day!  Cat Tongue

And "sloppiness" is totally subjective.

When I'm home (which is most of the time on a daily basis), I'm in some type of lounge pants and a tee of some kind.

With a hoodie if necessary.

When I'm out, I'm in jeans or casual crops - and a tee of some kind, LOL.

With a hoodie or jacket if necessary.

Hey, you can always add accessories to any basic outfit if you want to" tszuj" it up. Woman Wink

It's actually an innate thing that guys are generally more positive about their self image and overall look, no matter what they're wearing. 

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I am retired and I live a simple country life on a road not traveled much once school starts. My road is only 2 miles long but it is the road traveled from a camp ground to a state park and a paved walking trail cuts thru my property.   Except for today.  Large dump trucks have been going back and forth all day and they are especially noisy coming and going at the intersection making their rt hand turn.  I have on my usual loose tshirt, jeans and sandals.  It is a hot day again.  No complaints.   If I wanted to go to the store I would take my bun down and put on a different shirt.  My daily makeup is serum, moisturizer, 319 and tinted spackle.  Maybe add mascara and lipstick to leave the house.  A few years ago Woopie owned property in my area and I frequently saw her around the village and in the city about 10 miles away.  What you see is what you get.   Very casual, smiling and pleasant.  She may still be here.  Since retiring I have no need to go to town or the city much.  I still have most of the dressy work outfits but there is no need to put them on while I wander and work in my little domain.  If you call loose and comfortable sloppy that is OK.  On your time, in your " place" be as sloppy as makes you comfortable.   Enjoy this new stage in your life to the fullest, turn off that darn alarm and sleep late once in a while, take time for all those things you never had time for and don't feel guilty.  You earned it.  Make more beautiful memories to last the rest of your life.  Someday,if we are lucky, we will be able to draw on those memories when our mobility declines and we have to spend time in our grandmother's rocking chair.  Yes.  I still have my great grandmother's rocking chair.  It has rocked 6 generations and going strong.    It is loved and has help spread much love.  Our newest is now 3 months old. 

I love that! Thank you so much for sharing. It was beautiful.