Honored Contributor

Gucci Requests Permit for Parthenon Runway Show

Gucci Requests Permit for Parthenon Runway Show
 75  2 Google +0  0  0  77

Gucci, one of the most well known designer brands worldwide, is looking to produce a fashion show at the Acropolis in Athens. The fashion company reportedly wants to make a runway with the Parthenon as its background.

Greece’s Central Archaeological Council, which oversees the country’s ancient sites and has authority over such requests, will convene on Tuesday to discuss the matter.

In the past the Council has denied most commercial requests for archaeological sites.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gucci Requests Permit for Parthenon Runway Show

I read on the Fashion Law website that Gucci has been turned down.

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/grecian-archaeological-council-rejects-guccis-bid-for-acropolis-sh...

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

At first I thought it would have been cool but when I thought about it, it would become a trend and all of the worlds monuments would be "cheapened" by fashion shows especially if it was a bad fashion show.

Some things need to remain off limits to this kind of usage.

Trusted Contributor

I think that Greece may need to rethink this idea, the same way that Italy has.  Italy is struggling so much financially that it has been unable to maintain it's historic treasures.  Italian fashion houses stepped up to the plate.  Prada has done repair work in Bologna and the Grand Canal of Venice, Bulgari repaired the Spanish Steps in Rome, Gucci has been restoring 16th century Medici tapestries, Tod has been cleaning the Roman Colesseum, Fendi has restored the Trevi Fountain, and Ferragamo has worked on the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.  At at least one of those, Fendi, was allowed to hold a fashion show at the Trevi Fountain in return.