Honored Contributor

Re: Graveyard , where all the ugly, cheap clothes go

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I remember my Grandparents who lived through the Depression.....

When socks got holes, she darned them. Shoes got resoled.

My Grandmother wore her housedresses until they were paper thin and couldn't be worn anymore. She had one coat and hat for Church on Sunday.

Even though they could afford it later in life, they were still pretty frugal about buying clothes and only wearing them a few times.

My dh used to resole his own shoes using old tires..lol.I used to darn socks and underwire.I was brought up poor and my mom would not waste a thing.It has only been the last few years that I have stopped being so frugal.Clothing is so cheaply made now in comparison to the past that there isn’t much sense to all of that mending.

Honored Contributor

I don't follow fashion; I wear basic and classic clothes.  I feel NO need to wear what is the flavor of the minute.  I never have.

My mom always had to have the latest.  After my dad died every closet in the house was crammed with her clothes and shoes.  She shopped a lot at TJ Maxx and places where she could get lots of clothes cheap.

Shoes?  She had racks of them.  Cheap shoes.  I'll buy a good pair and wear it years.  And clothes as well.  

My line of choice is Talbots.  Their pants are good basics that last for years.  

But then I don't enjoy shopping really and that's not a hobby for me so that makes a difference I guess. 

Honored Contributor

Can't say I've purchased thrift store clothes. My friend who does finds nice stuff.

Honored Contributor

The way I see it, the excess of clothing around the world is much like the problems with plastics...lots of it will be here for a very long time.