Esteemed Contributor

Graveyard , where all the ugly, cheap clothes go

[ Edited ]

Found this article on 3Dinsider  entitles " Mass production in the Fashion Industry ..."

the web link  3dinsider.optitex.com /fashion-quanity-outweighs-quality.

I always wondered what happens to all the clothes that are either not sold or  are terribly ugly  or worn once and discarded .I alwys thought they were shipped off to markets in other countries.

This article  discusses  quanity  vs quality   . It also describes where these piles of  discarded clothes go.  Information on what chemicals are used to produce various textiles  and their impact on our enviroment was addressed .

Honored Contributor

Re: Graveyard , where all the ugly, cheap clothes go

Sounds interesting but the link doesn't work.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sounds interesting but the link doesn't work.

I think I misspelled one word . Just add www.https://

3dinsider.optitex.com › fashion-quantity-outweighs-quality
Honored Contributor

Read a similar article this summer and realized how my not buying much at all in the way of new clothes during the last several years is probably more a contribution to the environment more than a saving of any big money.

The article I read noted that in our country people on average wear each garment they buy as few as 5 times before discarding it.  At the very least, if I have something worn that little, I pass it on to a friend or to thrift.  No idea how fast it hits waste after that, but I am working all the time at not buying what I really don't need and passing things on before they're too outdated or too worn to resell easily.

Respected Contributor

The link did not work, but I was able to find it because you included the source and title - thank you!

Try this link:

https://3dinsider.optitex.com/fashion-quantity-outweighs-quality/

Honored Contributor

I moved from a comfortable suburban area to a small town/rural area where the average income is not that high.  The difference is night and day. In my old home town no one would even look at the closets at estate sales.  (I worked on these sales for a friend)  Where I live now it is quite acceptable to buy used apparel from estate sales, auctions and thrift stores.  One can find quality items at reasonable prices and ignore the tissue thin offerings at the local stores.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

there was a time when I was snotty too but my hippy cousin got  my daughter into it and eventually I partook in the used market!

Rember those Jincos that were at least $100 that the middle school kids just HAD to have? We must have picked up 3 or 4 pairs for a buck or 2! I used to get like new Helfiger and CK jeans from Goodwill for under $5! And a stunning tweed suit, very Jackie Kennedy, that my daughter and her friend fought over for under $10! They were both in debate and the dress code for the weekly tournaments was business professional...

Used is also a great way to try a trend without paying retail...

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 

It is rather overwhelming to think about all the clothes out there whether they be for sale or in our own closets. Even though I have downsized my wardrobe considerably, I still have more than I need. My mother never had that many clothes; neither did we as children. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma wrote:

@skatting44 

It is rather overwhelming to think about all the clothes out there whether they be for sale or in our own closets. Even though I have downsized my wardrobe considerably, I still have more than I need. My mother never had that many clothes; neither did we as children. 

@wilma   

The convenience of the inexpensive clothing provided by China is a problem.  By buying so much, we only contribute to their using children as slaves.  I admit to my part as well.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I remember my Grandparents who lived through the Depression.....

When socks got holes, she darned them. Shoes got resoled.

My Grandmother wore her housedresses until they were paper thin and couldn't be worn anymore. She had one coat and hat for Church on Sunday.

Even though they could afford it later in life, they were still pretty frugal about buying clothes and only wearing them a few times.