Honored Contributor

Re: Got my Susan Graver Puffer Coat A385729 Black Friday Deal

@Andreatoo wrote:

@06greatwife @RespectLife @haddon9 

Excuse my ignorance, I live in Miami, but why would you want a puffer zipper to run both ways? I get, aesthetically speaking, why one would want that in a short jacket or blazer but I don't know why for a coat..

@Andreatoo 

Oh gosh, it is totally necessary to have a two way zipper in a coat! 

Unziping the bottom a bit makes it so much easier to get in and out of your vehicle!

I have an SUV and a bit of a climb.  Zipped to the bottom and you can't get your legs up very well....especially for shorter gals like me and the OP.  You are kinda straight jacketed down there.

Coats come longer on me, so I need to be able to have a split at the bottom.

Also, without it unzipped a bit from the bottom, the whole coat rides up into my face.

I have a shorter Dennis Basso jacket that does not have it.  The whole coat puffs up when I sit.

I don't think it is necessary on a blazer at all.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

It's not 'necessary' on a jacket or blazer but, depending on the style of the blazer or jacket, the closed at the top draping open look can be sharp.

good to know on the puffer!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, I live in Miami, but why would you want a puffer zipper to run both ways? I get, aesthetically speaking, why one would want that in a short jacket or blazer but I don't know why for a coat..

@Andreatoo So you can unzip a few inches from the bottom when sitting in a car...it's less restrictive. 

I understand being from south FL.

I have a question for you...my mother lives in the Ft. Lauderdale area and I usually visit over the winter, sometimes in the fall or spring. It's always warm enough for me to wear sandals or flip flops.

Many years ago when we used to get a large Sunday paper I can remember Macy's advertising winter clothing...boots, sweaters, coats, etc. in the area.  It was 80 plus degrees out and I can remember asking my mother who wears this in the area?  Her reply was it was for people going up north to visit!  LOL!  Of course that made no sense...but why do the big department stores mostly have winter clothing in south Florida this time of year?  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Andreatoo So you can unzip a few inches from the bottom when sitting in a car...it's less restrictive. 

I understand being from south FL.

I have a question for you...my mother lives in the Ft. Lauderdale area and I usually visit over the winter, sometimes in the fall or spring. It's always warm enough for me to wear sandals or flip flops.

Many years ago when we used to get a large Sunday paper I can remember Macy's advertising winter clothing...boots, sweaters, coats, etc. in the area.  It was 80 plus degrees out and I can remember asking my mother who wears this in the area?  Her reply was it was for people going up north to visit!  LOL!  Of course that made no sense...but why do the big department stores mostly have winter clothing in south Florida this time of year?  

@haddon9 

I think the answer is more practical than it's for people traveling north. I'm just guessing here But most of these companies are national and don't stock shelves specific to each region. Add to that that we're all wimps here in South Florida when it comes to the cold! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo Thanks for your reply!  Yours makes more sense than what my mother said!  Smiley Happy. Yes it's probably much easier to supply the same merchandise  across the board for large companies.

Respected Contributor

I have been satisfied with every SG coat I have purchased. They are always well made and have little touches that I appreciate such as the cuffs on puffer coats, quality zippers , and wash nicely on gentle cycle.

I have several of the fleece /reversible coats that are versatile and nice for moderate weather. The only complaint I had was the first one on which the buttonholes constantly needed to be made tighter with a stitch . I learned to go down a size on the fleece ones after checking size chart .

@06greatwife Woman Very Happy glad you liked yours. I love that stormy night blue color she sells.

I agree with her sales pitch of how the first thing and sometimes all others see of us in the winter are our coats. But of course most of us only have so much closet space and a limited budget. 

Valued Contributor

A two way zipper is needed in jackets snd longer coats for when you sit down, in the car, etc. You can keep your middle closed snd keeping you warm. I won't buy any type of jacket of coat without one.