Trusted Contributor

Re: Google Joan R and Lena Dunham

On 3/27/2014 imaclotheshog said:

Joan is a comedian and she makes fun of people. Period. She is who she is and she has made tons of money for QVC. Yes she is crass and rude and all of that, but that is who she is. She is old enough and rich enough she doesn't care what anyone thinks. Big deal, Joan is Joan.

So if Lena Dunham doesn't care what anyone thinks then she shouldn't care what Joan says. IMO Lena Dunham is a hot mess. She isn't off limits for Joan to ridicule. No one is off limits for Joan. That's just how it is. I don't know why people keep getting upset about Joan's schtick and act shocked and amazed.....she is who she is.

I agree. This is just what she does and has done for a long time.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2014 magicmoodz said:

I am quite sure that Joan Rivers is not even a blip on Lena Dunham's radar. As someone stated, Joan can get her knickers in a knot if anything derogatory is said about her daughter, Melissa--who by the way is about as interesting as a doorknob.

As far as Lena being photoshopped for Vogue, EVERYBODY is photoshopped! Just how much control do you think they have in that matter?

Well if everybody is - then she must have known they would portray her as much thinner than she is. Wouldn't that be insulting - implying that her actual size is unattractive - and certainly not suitable for Vogue. I thought she was against that sort of typecasting of women.

She looks pretty happy to be shown as thinner. Hmmmm.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2014 Dagna said:

I am quite sure that Joan Rivers is not even a blip on Lena Dunham's radar. As someone stated, Joan can get her knickers in a knot if anything derogatory is said about her daughter, Melissa--who by the way is about as interesting as a doorknob.

As far as Lena being photoshopped for Vogue, <em>EVERYBODY</em> is photoshopped! Just how much control do you think they have in that matter?

Well if everybody is - then she must have known they would portray her as much thinner than she is. Wouldn't that be insulting - implying that her actual size is unattractive - and certainly not suitable for Vogue. I thought she was against that sort of typecasting of women.

She looks pretty happy to be shown as thinner. Hmmmm.

If you think it is insulting to Lena, then it must also be insulting to every woman who has ever been the cover shot of Vogue. Is that implying they aren't quite good enough to be portrayed as they really are?

Honored Contributor

As far as Lena being photoshopped for Vogue, EVERYBODY is photoshopped! Just how much control do you think they have in that matter?

I think we all know that everyone is photoshopped but there is photoshopping and then there is photoshopping to the point of ridiculous. Did you read about the photoshop job on the Target website that caused so much backlash?

I have no idea how much control they have with Vogue but I would have to think Lena saw the final photos and perhaps even approved them. If whoever set this up for Lena didn't insist she have some control over it, they were stupid. I've not been looking but I've not heard that she was upset about the cover either.

I remember when Katie Couric left the Today Show and going to nightly news. She did a photo shoot for a magazine and one photo was photoshopped and they slimmed her down quite a bit. The other fixed imperfections on her skin but left her body the size it photographed. SHE was the one who chose which photo was going to be used.

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2014 suzeecat said:

Back in the day Joan used to do the same jokes about Liz Taylor's weight. I think Jessica Simpson has been there, too. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but some of her jokes are funny. If Lena doesn't mind, then she can at least be thankful for the extra press and recognition she's getting, and in Hollywood that's as good as money in the bank. There are people on this thread at the very least who didn't know who she was until Joan started talking about her. By Hollywood standards, Lena is large. By Hollywood standards, so am I (I own and wear Joan Rivers size small jackets), but thankfully Joan doesn't know I exist, LOL!

I don't know if they are airing anywhere outside the Motor City (Detroit), but Joan is doing some auto company commercials (can't remember which brand). Her jokes on these commercials are terrible! At one point she says "I gotta go, my face is melting". How is that even remotely funny?

I believe it's for KIA and is being shown in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2014 LipstickDiva said:

As far as Lena being photoshopped for Vogue, <em>EVERYBODY</em> is photoshopped! Just how much control do you think they have in that matter?

I think we all know that everyone is photoshopped but there is photoshopping and then there is photoshopping to the point of ridiculous. Did you read about the photoshop job on the Target website that caused so much backlash?

I have no idea how much control they have with Vogue but I would have to think Lena saw the final photos and perhaps even approved them. If whoever set this up for Lena didn't insist she have some control over it, they were stupid. I've not been looking but I've not heard that she was upset about the cover either.

I remember when Katie Couric left the Today Show and going to nightly news. She did a photo shoot for a magazine and one photo was photoshopped and they slimmed her down quite a bit. The other fixed imperfections on her skin but left her body the size it photographed. SHE was the one who chose which photo was going to be used.

We might see this differently. Lena Dunham has no qualms about prancing around naked when the rest of us (who happen to be thinner) would rather wrap ourselves in a slanket! I sincerely wonder if she could give a rat's behind just exactly how (was it Annie Lebovitz?) captured her on film or to what extent Vogue chose to "touch up". The real issue at hand is how Vogue seems to think we as purchasers will not buy a magazine if anything "real" is portrayed.

Respected Contributor

On 3/27/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 3/27/2014 suzeecat said:

Back in the day Joan used to do the same jokes about Liz Taylor's weight. I think Jessica Simpson has been there, too. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but some of her jokes are funny. If Lena doesn't mind, then she can at least be thankful for the extra press and recognition she's getting, and in Hollywood that's as good as money in the bank. There are people on this thread at the very least who didn't know who she was until Joan started talking about her. By Hollywood standards, Lena is large. By Hollywood standards, so am I (I own and wear Joan Rivers size small jackets), but thankfully Joan doesn't know I exist, LOL!

I don't know if they are airing anywhere outside the Motor City (Detroit), but Joan is doing some auto company commercials (can't remember which brand). Her jokes on these commercials are terrible! At one point she says "I gotta go, my face is melting". How is that even remotely funny?

I believe it's for KIA and is being shown in my area.

She's doing Dodge commercials -- they're airing nationally, I suppose, since they're on network shows and we're seeing them here in CA.

Honored Contributor

This was a big topic of discussion on The Talk today.