Super Contributor

Re: Goodwill rocks!! My jeans story ends happily? Does yours??

http://www.clothesmentor.com/ this is a very nice shop, and a good business opportunity.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a thrift store supporting pregnant teens. They get a truckload from Scottsdale four times a year. I get most of my jeans there for $4 or $5 with the tags still on them. I wear Levi & LEI from Charlotte Russe stores. Lots of boys school shirts, a Pendelton, and a London Fog jacket for me, new.

Trusted Contributor

I recently scored a nice cabinet at GW that will be used as a pantry. It matches the kitchen cabinets perfectly! I was looking online at other places and I would have spent $300-400 for something similar.

GW rocks!

Regular Contributor

On 1/8/2014 chrystaltree said:

The thought of wearing used closed just just sounds icky to me. No disrepect to those can't afford anything else, you do what you have to do under trying circumstances but I wouldn't stoop to wearing cast offs just because they cost $5 when there are a lot of affordable jeans available. My sister and a friend are both swear by Walmart's Faded Glory (or something like that) jeans that they buy on line for some ridiculous prices like in the $12-15 price range. Great denim, great fit and NEW. Old Navy also has very affordable jeans and Old Navy is always having deep discounts and surprise online sales that make the jeans even more affordable. I'm sure Sears also has a $20 jean.

Thank goodness there are lots of people who think like you do!

Means more bargains and deals for people like me.

Saving $$ and recycling is a way of life for me; have been doing this for years. Like the fact I have saved much perfectly good merchandise from our local landfill. I have never exposed myself or my family to any health issues from used items; all of us are perfectly healthy.

Super Contributor

It's not always about the money, it's the thrill of the hunt! I've been shopping thrift stores for years and managed one for three, never saw a bedbug or even ever heard of one in any of the stores our charity had or in any stores I've ever shopped in.
Super Contributor

I guess tropicalbeachgirl and I aren't adverse to stooping (low enough) to wear cast offs and I'll take all the used vintage clothing cast offs I can find.
Contributor

I LOVE thrifting! Always finding goodies there and generally one of a kind! Oh yeah!
Super Contributor

I'm don't have the patience to sort through all of the stuff, so I'm not much of a thrift store shopper. However; we do have a couple of thrift shops that benefit specific organizations and I have gotten a few great bargains from them. The cancer society store will actually sort things by label and then put signs on the racks indicating that the goods are from Talbots, Chico's, etc. I got a gorgeous silk and cotton Talbots skirt with the $169 tag still attached for $14 and a St. John jacket for $50.

I have some friends that come over from Norway and Sweden for 6 weeks of vacation at the beach every fall. They're all avid golfers and to avoid paying checked bag fees, they pack a couple of changes of clothes in their carry-on bags and then check their golf clubs. Once they arrive, they head to the thrift shops to pick up their wardrobes for the next few weeks. When they get ready to home, they just donate all of it back.

Trusted Contributor

chrystaltree--Are you serious? You need to expand your horizons a little. Icky? That's hilarious!