Respected Contributor

Re: Golden Globe Fashions 2018

I think the "solidarity" issue is interesting.  Some - like Meryl Streep - who clearly benefited from Weinstein - now portray themselves as some sort of heroines for their "bravery" in "speaking out" now.  Yet she led the standing ovation for Polanski - who raped a child.  So I'm having some problems with her self righteousness.  

As to the woman in the red dress - oh yes the others "support women" - unless of course the woman doesn't toe the line.  Have you read the  shaming comments many have made about her dress - and she certainly wasn't revealing any more than many others have - it was the color that set them off.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I really couldn't remember her dress, but omg those earrings are incredible!

catherine-zeta-jones-golden-globes-earrings-t.jpg

@SilleeMee....and one of the most natural, over 50, “not pulled tight” faces in Hollywood. I applaud her acceptance. She looks beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@SilleeMee I think I saw quite a few people wearing large emerald earrings.  I wondered if it was a trend (but agree, her’s were beautiful.)

I loved the idea of the display of solidarity and it was quite stunning to see the sea of black in the audience.  But, I also thought that it would give rise to bullying for anyone who didn’t conform - which is opposite of what the intent was. 

Also, for a completely superficial reason, I found the red carpet boring with all black!  I don’t think I could tell you who was best or worse dressed; can barely even remember what everyone wore. Fashion Police would have nothing to talk about, if it were still on!

@Alter Ego. Many women, especially of a “certain age”, find black near their face to be too harsh. The flash of color near their face adds that pop of brightness that makes all the difference. I noticed one woman who accepted an award in dark navy...an acceptable choice.

Several years ago, Catherine Zeta Jones stunned in her black gown, with her now famous leg baring pose, but we also remember the outstanding gorgeous emerald drop earrings against the black dress & her dark hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe she wasn't showing solidarity with a group of phonies who have no idea what working women and men experience in their day to day lives.  Kudos to her!  She looked lovely. 

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:
@Katcat1 wrote:

One woman, only one, showed up in a red dress with a slit up to her upper leg crease.  OMG!  I can't believe she would show up if she knew what was going on in that dress.  Rather strange.  There was one black outfit that also had pants almost like a lounging outfit that I liked and I actually thought Kendall Jenner was very chic.  How about you?  What were your favorites?

Cat Very HappyHeart

• The woman with peek-a-boo red dress with  the slit up to the leg crease was lovely..  She looked very hot and sexy in her dress.  Great legs!  I love the look.  And wish more dresses like that were offered at department stores.  I would buy a few.  

Ugh! I found it repulsive. Some people just crave attention and they think showing off their bodies is the way to go. Pity.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

@SilleeMee I think I saw quite a few people wearing large emerald earrings.  I wondered if it was a trend (but agree, her’s were beautiful.)

I loved the idea of the display of solidarity and it was quite stunning to see the sea of black in the audience.  But, I also thought that it would give rise to bullying for anyone who didn’t conform - which is opposite of what the intent was. 

Also, for a completely superficial reason, I found the red carpet boring with all black!  I don’t think I could tell you who was best or worse dressed; can barely even remember what everyone wore. Fashion Police would have nothing to talk about, if it were still on!

@Alter Ego. Many women, especially of a “certain age”, find black near their face to be too harsh. The flash of color near their face adds that pop of brightness that makes all the difference. I noticed one woman who accepted an award in dark navy...an acceptable choice.

Several years ago, Catherine Zeta Jones stunned in her black gown, with her now famous leg baring pose, but we also remember the outstanding gorgeous emerald drop earrings against the black dress & her dark hair. 

@Shanus,

Wasn't that Angelina Jolie? She, too, wore some huge pear emerald earrings with a black slit dress on the red carpet. I will never forget THOSE emeralds!Woman Happy

shopping.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@EatWell wrote:
@Katcat1 wrote:

One woman, only one, showed up in a red dress with a slit up to her upper leg crease.  OMG!  I can't believe she would show up if she knew what was going on in that dress.  Rather strange.  There was one black outfit that also had pants almost like a lounging outfit that I liked and I actually thought Kendall Jenner was very chic.  How about you?  What were your favorites?

Cat Very HappyHeart

• The woman with peek-a-boo red dress with  the slit up to the leg crease was lovely..  She looked very hot and sexy in her dress.  Great legs!  I love the look.  And wish more dresses like that were offered at department stores.  I would buy a few.  

Ugh! I found it repulsive. Some people just crave attention and they think showing off their bodies is the way to go. Pity.

@Judaline  Especially at an event where showing most of your naked body and then drawing attention to it wearing red is so against what the women in black were attempting to protest. What was she thinking? Or maybe she wasn’t. All will be talking about her, so maybe she achieved her goal, but in a negative “look at me”, way.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee. Yes, you’re right, Angelina Jolie. Thanks for correcting me. Your memory is much better than mine! 😏

Honored Contributor

Woman LOL...those emeralds make it hard to forget. @Shanus

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Woman LOL...those emeralds make it hard to forget. @Shanus

@SilleeMee  My only defense, besides my aging brain cells, is both women wore black, are tall and stately, often chose a colored earring and are brunettes. Do I get a gimme?