Super Contributor

Watched The Golden Girls in prime time and even more today.  Love all their fashions, especially their jewelry. The fashion designers really knew how to dress them based on their body types and personalities.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

By today's standards those fashions are matronly.

I think they were matronly then too.  I remember a colleague at the time telling me she liked some of the fashions and i had to work on my blank expression.  I am sure some of the dresses are nice, but none come to mind.

The show was and still is great.  I do watch some times and laugh.  Love those ladies.  

Frighteningly for me, I am older than the actress who played Blanche at the time, but I think younger than the other actresses were.  I think we look better now than people of the same age then, better beauty products I guess.  I hope so anyway....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Golden Girls Fashions

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

One of them sold her lounging outfits on vintage QVC for a time. I think it was Blanche?😊

I confess to admiring Jessica Fletcher's outfits on "Murder She Wrote." She is tall, like myself, and most of her classic clothing I love. Her jewelry is always coordinated to her outfit and she wears both warm and cool palettes.

Jessica did dress very well, though some of the fashions are dated.  Some of shows reflect "dated" values as well.  I like this show for late night watching, but I have a hard time watching episodes with behavior that I would not tolerate today.  Some of it is that I was new to the States and did not know some things.  But sometimes women are not treated that well.  It did bother at the time people were so condescending to JB.  But she always showed them.  Gave me (false) hope!

Frequent Contributor

Blanche's clothes are straight out of the old Spiegel Catalogs from yrs. ago.  I always wished I could have afforded to order from them,  but I had 5 Daughters & I had to buy for them.  The negligees that they wore, especially Blanche's were so expensive & elegant for th time.  I still watch the series when I can't sleep at night!!!

Honored Contributor

I didn't watch the Golden Girls when it first aired but now watch the reruns.  As far as fashions go, I think their clothes were fancy for everyday wear but realize they worked.  Also I find it hard to believe they wore layers, long sleeves, jackets and sweaters living in such a hot climate.  One thing I did notice is that some of Dorothy's fashions remind me of what Logo sells on the Q, some similar styles!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Golden Girls Fashions

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella wrote:

One of the best comedy series!  And, yes, I also enjoyed looking at the fashion and styles each of them wore.  It certainly suited their characters, especially Blanche's peignoir/negligee sets. She even had the bedroom slipper pumps to match.    

@ciao_bella and @Desert Lily 

I still LOVE Blanche's negligee sets whenever l see her wearing one! I wear nightgowns a lot during the day because l have to. I remember reading they had to design more negligee sets because so many women were writing in wanting to see more and where they purchased them! 💖

Yes! One of the best comedy series! Blanche was my favorite and l think, most of the time, she had the best lines!

l also liked the way Rose dressed... She wore a lot of pretty cardigans. 

Honored Contributor

I adored this show!  It was just so funny and they don't make good comedy shows like this any more.  It gives me such happy memories just thinking about it because my Mom and I used to watch it together and she would just crack up laughing!  Yes, the outfits they wore were just lovely.  They always looked wonderful!  And I loved the house, too!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  The front/outside view of the house was on the backlot at Disneyworld in Florida. It used to be on the tour in the Great Movie Ride. It is gone now but was fun to see when taking the tour. The inside sets were in L. A., and the room placement changed from the first episode (the pilot) to the way the rooms and outside areas were in later episodes. I have watched this series so much over the years.

Honored Contributor

@KLm 

That was interesting!  I thought the outside of the house was a real house!!!  I would have loved to have seen that on the back lot at Disney!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Contributor

@KLm wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  The front/outside view of the house was on the backlot at Disneyworld in Florida. It used to be on the tour in the Great Movie Ride. It is gone now but was fun to see when taking the tour. The inside sets were in L. A., and the room placement changed from the first episode (the pilot) to the way the rooms and outside areas were in later episodes. I have watched this series so much over the years.

Very interesting @KLm ! Thank u for sharing this.

Love the show which I discovered in old reruns.