Honored Contributor

Re: Glad to be alive after my Appendix burst!!

@Himi lover wrote:
Back in the 70s I had a burst appendix along with peritonitis. Awful pain in the stomach along with temp of 102. My mother took me to the emergency room. At first, they couldn't quite figure out what was going on. But then decided a couple of days later, that was the problem and operated. I was in intensive care a few days, and was in the hospital almost 2 weeks. Not fun.

I had a similar incident in the late 90's.  I had bowel obstructions, multiple surgeries to remove adhesions, a 5 week hospital stay, j tubes for draining and peritonitis.  AWFUL!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@namealreadytaken wrote:

The appendix was already ruptured and fluid and infection needed to be removed to prevent their spread.  Oh, dear.  Please.  She is the one who was ill.  Don't try to play doctor without the proper training.  

EXACTLY!  My appendix ruptured and I sat on it for 2 days in excruciating pain not knowing it was appendicitis.  I thought it was food poisoning or a horrible flu.  Only after I went to the Med Check did I know, and the Dr. sent me ASAP to the ER.

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness you are OK. It is hard sometimes when we suffer from chronic conditions to recognize when something is not right. Hope you continue to do well.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness you are ok. That can be deadly.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi Win, I can't believe you left it go for 2 days! If it wasn't for the temp, I maybe would have done the same thing. It's sometimes hard to know whether or not to go to the ER. You don't want to go there, then be told it's really nothing, then I would have felt really stupid. Sounds tho like you had major complications.
Honored Contributor

@Himi lover wrote:
Hi Win, I can't believe you left it go for 2 days! If it wasn't for the temp, I maybe would have done the same thing. It's sometimes hard to know whether or not to go to the ER. You don't want to go there, then be told it's really nothing, then I would have felt really stupid. Sounds tho like you had major complications.

Hi Himi.  I had no idea it was appendicitis.  I never knew anyone who had appendicitis.  I thought it was a horrible food poisoning.  It wasn't localized on one area.  It started Friday night and I ended up going to Med Check on Sunday a.m.  I was so sick all weekend.

Yes, I'm lucky to be alive after all the complications.  THANKS! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

How scary! Glad you are on the mend and feeling better. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
Win, I can't quote because of the iPad issue. I didn't have the usual pain in my side, or the normal symptoms associated with appendicitis. That's why the hospital docs weren't sure what was going on. It was localized around my belly button. So, they weren't sure what it was either. Yes, you are lucky to be alive! Peritonitis is extremely serious.
Trusted Contributor

Cookie, how are you doing?
Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:
Did they explain what caused the fluid? Did you have a drain tube in you?

They didn't have me on antibiotics for long enough.  All the infection was still in there and my body, I guess trying to fight it, my chest filled with fluid. 

I had had a drain tube after the surgery but they took that out  five days after the initial surgery. When the infection flared up again, I filled with the fluid. They don't really explain alot to you about whys and such when you are in the hospital I have found.  They just do what they have to do.  You really have to be your own advocate or have someone with you that can be your advocate.  That is why I think it is so important for older people that are really sick and can't speak up for themselves really need someone with them at the hospital.