Respected Contributor

Re: Glad to be alive after my Appendix burst!!

Mine did too, quite a few years ago. It was worse than childbirth as it hurt so bad. I had peritonitis and was in the hospital for 22 days. Nothing I care to repeat.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

@Cookie06 wrote:

Hi Girls,

I am finally recovering from my burst appendix.  The lesson to learn from my experience, don't try and be a tough guy and drive on through the pain!!!

I have Crohn's disease, not bad only have an attack about once a year. Well late May, I started getting Crohn's like pains.  So like I usually do, after a day of the horrible pain in my right side, I started on Prednisone. It usually starts working after a couple of days dosage.  Well after the third day and no relief from the pain, I decided that it was not my Crohn's after all.  

My husband came home from work and I told him I better go to the walk-in clinic.  So long story short, they scheduled a CT scan.  After leaving the clinic, the walk in doc said go home, pack a bag and we have a bed waiting for you at the hospital.  So we did. Now this is the interesting part.  I went in on Wednesday and they didn't do the surgery until Friday?? I don't get it. 

So I thought I was going to get better and I was on pain meds for the pain.  After a week and a half, I was getting really short of breath.  So after five days of this, I finally called my husband at work and told him we needed to go to the ER.  Well, I thought I was having a heart attack, but didn't tell my husband that, he would have totally freaked.  So we went to the ER, got in right away because they thought I might be having a heart attack.  Turned out my chest had filled with fluid, collapsed my lung. They drained a liter of fluid off my chest two days later.  So after a month, I am feeling sort of human again.  

The other lesson to be learned from this, don't self diagnose!!!

I'm glad you are ok!!  I don't have Crohn's disese, but my appendix ruptured in 1999, and I almost died.  I was in the hospital for 5 weeks--terrible!!! 

So glad you are alright!  Smiley Happy

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Usually a person has to be stabilized before going into surgery and that means IV antibiotics and IV's as the gut bacteria can spread throughout the entire intestinal system plus through the lymph nodes-- lots of lymph nodes in the abdominal region.

Glad to hear that you are recuperating. People have less post operative complications when antibiotics are given pre operatively.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing your story with us, and glad you're feeling better! If your advice can save one person from additional danger, you've done a true blessing.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

So glad that you are ok.Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:
Why would they have waited for two days? Clearly,.it wasn't a burst appendix. An emergency surgery would have been warranted and you would have been taken to OR asap. Were they monitoring you? Seems risky.

Well if you would like to look at the medical reports and explain why I had Peritonitis and absesses in my guts.  Pus and infection everywhere in there. But, oh I am sure you are right that my appendix didn't burst, I mean Clearly it couldn't have.  

Valued Contributor

Cookie06, I'm glad you are on the mend. I know first hand what you've been through. My appendix ruptured the week after Memorial Day weekend in 1993. I had been feeling as if I had the flu for several days. My boss came over to see how I was (we had just moved into our house several weeks before). He stayed for a few minutes and then left. Within 10 minutes or so of him leaving I literally felt something happen. I had to crawl to the phone. Called my husband and told him to come home right away -- there was something wrong. We went to the ER and it was determined that my appendix had likely ruptured and off the surgery I went. Afterward the surgeon came to talk to me. Said it was one of the worst ruptures he had ever seen and I was lucky to be alive. I was the the hospital for 7 nights on heavy duty antibiotics and painkillers. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Trusted Contributor

Back in the 70s I had a burst appendix along with peritonitis. Awful pain in the stomach along with temp of 102. My mother took me to the emergency room. At first, they couldn't quite figure out what was going on. But then decided a couple of days later, that was the problem and operated. I was in intensive care a few days, and was in the hospital almost 2 weeks. Not fun.
Trusted Contributor

Oh you really went through agony!  I'm so gld you're on the mend and that you caught it in time! 

Valued Contributor

Get well wishes to you!!!!  I have learned the hard way not to self diagnose. gets me into BIG trouble everytime.  feel better soon!