Esteemed Contributor

Gifting Clothes to Friends Major weight loss - can no longer wear.

Just spend 15 minutes writing this one and it disappeared. Oh well.

Basic Facts: Lost weight, have nice clothes that are too big. Would this be a kindness or insult to offer these clothes to friends?

And how would I handle the conversation. Or should I just donate to charity and leave it alone. I have one friend who jumped on the bandwagon and is losing weight as well. The fact I am now off of all meds made her think about what she is eating. Another friend is backing away from me. And one more is holding her own, not seeming to care either way. And there are others. ( I am retired now and can not wear all the things I have in my closet... too big and or no longer appropriate or useful to me.

Hope this is not a duplicate post. The other one disappeared before my very eyes.

Super Contributor

Re: Gifting Clothes to Friends Major weight loss - can no longer wear.

Hey bonnielu, could you just put out the word with your friends that you are "making space in your closet" or some such, and that anyone is free to choose some items? That way there is no judgment or 'reasons' other than spring cleaning?
Respected Contributor

I would donate it to charity. People are often touchy about the subject of weight loss and although you mean well, it may end up creating some tension.

BTW, Congratulations on the weight loss!!

Esteemed Contributor

If you're thinking about what to do to the point where you are asking people who do not know your friends that suggest to me you should donate the clothes. You know your friends, therefore, if you truly felt that there would be no feeling of insult at your offer you wouldn't be wrestling with this.

Respected Contributor

Have you and your friends exchanged clothing before your weight loss? If not, I would donate. Have you donated clothing to them before? If not, I would donate to charity.

Regular Contributor

Donate-I would not like it if someone offered me, friend/relative , their clothing.

Of course you know your friends best.

Respected Contributor

Definitely donate unless you have friends who cannot afford their own clothing and truly need things. I just wouldn't get into it with them. I'm in the same position, clothing in two sizes which I cannot wear. I'll be donating them rather than offering them to friends.

Respected Contributor

PS You might want to hold onto things for a few months to be sure that you have a handle on keeping the weight off. Losing weight is easy compared to keeping it off. I've had my "old" stuff over a year just in case, but I'm doing great holding the lower weight steady. I wish you well. Congratulations.

Respected Contributor

If you itemize you can take a nice deduction on your taxes for your donated clothes. I would donate to Salvation Army. They come and pick up your donations.

Honored Contributor

I've lost quite a bit also and have dropped many sizes. I'd donate if I were you, which is what I did. No chance of drama or hurt feelings that way. Congrats on the weight loss. It's hard to do.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?