Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Getting Millennials to Love Fashion

Anything that paper writes is negative.  I believe they do that intentionally to spark some attention.

I loved fashion when I was younger but I couldn't afford what NM was dishing out....................and I'm older now and I still can't afford it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's true and healthy that a lot of millennials are doing what we did after college .-- focusing on experiences, not things. Do far, they aren't buying a lot if fashion, homes, or cars. 

Trusted Contributor

I love the Washington Post and think that Robin Givhan is an excellent writer and brings the aesthetics of fashion alive through her writings.  The designs in her article were exciting and some of the colors were stunning.  Most of the clothing was not something that I would wear or could afford to purchase; but, I appreciate the artistry involved in their creation.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Millennials like fashion, they just can't afford luxury fashion and most people can't either. I suppose it's the trickle down theory -- wealthy millennial instagrammers/influencers post pix of themselves wearing designer clothing so that their followers will buy into the hype and buy those clothes. Other than 1 percenters, I don't think that's going to happen.

Luxury retailer Neiman Marcus is looking to restructure their debt:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2017/03/05/report-neiman-marcus-seeks-help-debt-restructur...

So maybe millennials aren't going to be the customers to bail out at least one department store luxury retailer.

Esteemed Contributor

We are in a casual college setting, I guess. But I really have not noticed any fashionistas there!

Maybe it's because I am so busy thinking about my discipline that I never notice what my college students are wearing!

Respected Contributor

Here in NE Ohio I don't see a lot of "fashionistas" of any age.  The younger people tend to go more for trends, rather than fashion.  For instance, ALL the younger girls (and some of the older ones too) are wearing black leggings nonstop.  A few years ago, no one had them.......it was all jeans, yoga pants and PJ bottoms. If it's cold, you are wearing a North Face jacket with your leggings.  As the weather warms, I will see more fashion.  I do like to wear lots of color, and enjoy creating outfits each day, but it takes me awhile to warm up to new fashions or trends.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@golding76

@lolakimono

"What happens when Balenciaga designs for normal people?" (Within article)...

all I can see when I do see high fashion are "trends"

I do think or hope that the fashion industry knows the "average" person is not attending formal balls on a regular basis.

From article TRENDS:

bracelet; pink satiny pants as examples

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Millenials do love fashion, much more that previous generations did at their age.  They have more money, they have social media access which opens the doors to the world to them and love themselves.  But they are smart when it comes to fashion, they aren't interested in couture because they aren't buying lifetime pieces.  They know that there's no benefit to buying a $9000 outfit, for any reason at all.  And they don't let high end designers tell them what they should wear.  They don't care.  They wear what they like, whether it's a $30 top or a $1000 skirt.  They also wear their clothes, they way they want to wear them.  Just like malls are dying out, couture and high end designer duds are also dying out.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

It's true and healthy that a lot of millennials are doing what we did after college .-- focusing on experiences, not things. Do far, they aren't buying a lot if fashion, homes, or cars. 

I've heard this on the tiny house shows - they would rather not spend money on aq place to live , they want to go as cheap as possible so they can have experiences.