Respected Contributor

Re: George Simonton and Dell'Olio

On 2/11/2015 many_hosta said:

I subscribed to Vogue in my late teens (1960s) through the 1990s. LDO is my contemporary. I started buying Anne Klein for career clothing around the time Donna Karan and Louis Dell'Olio started their careers at that label. It suited my work life to a T and I still have a few sweaters and blouses, a jacket, scarves and jewelry from AK when Louis ran it. I loved the cut and fit of AK suits and dresses! I also sought out "AK for Vogue" designer sewing patterns. For work, I also wore Albert Nipon dresses, Donna Karan (after she had her own line), Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren. I knew of Mr. Simonton, but did not own any of his clothing prior to QVC. I don't recall seeing his label locally.

Same here, although I hadn't heard of George S. until he appeared on the Q. September Vogue issues were special; pages of Anne Klein gorgeous ads for the fall collection, with Louis's signature across the bottom of the ads. I also wore Ralph Lauren, and JH Collectibles which were manufactured here, so I benefited from the quarterly sales and had a fabulous wardrobe, dressy, business, and casual, from JH mainly.

When it was announced on QVC that Louis was coming I could NOT believe it! I have been buying his designs from QVC ever since.

Respected Contributor

Louis was the design director of Anne Klein for 20 years. He and Donna Karan worked together there for 9 years and Louis remained for another 11 years. He, Donna, Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren were the four top American sportswear designers. I think we are so lucky to have him here at QVC. Out of all the QVC designers he is the most accomplished. I hadn't heard of George before he came to the Q.
Honored Contributor

Regarding George Simonton: This is excerpted and/or paraphrased from a 1994 article: On a visit to the Marilyn, custom shop, in Allentown... where he recently did a... trunk show, George talked about .... his suit collection which has wide appeal, as it can be worn 10 years from now....Other celebrities who wear Simonton's clothes include Ivana Trump, Connie Chung, Sally Jessy Raphael, Andrea Mitchell, Katie Couric, Kathie Lee Gifford, and Oprah Winfrey.

Regarding Louis Dell Olio: When Anne Klein died in the 1970s the business was left to her husband. After a long soul-searching, Donna Karan, a mother, was promoted but knowing she could not handle Anne Klein alone, called on her good friend and trusted designer, LDO, to help her. He came on board and AK became the great sportswear coordinate fashion goliath that it was when I was wearing the AK brand in my professional career.

Edited to say that fashion designers, by and large, have a very short shelf life. Very few have the longevity of a Chanel, Armani, Versace, Ralph Lauren. Donna Karan will most likely stand the test of time but this is due, in large part, to the helping of her friend LDO in her times of need. Those whose names you younger people recognize today are probably not going to be on the radar in 5 years.

Honored Contributor

No, never heard of them before seeing them on the Q.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of either gentleman before QVC. I've never seen their items in any department store. I have, over the years, purchased many items from Simonton but I wasn't aware of Dell'Olio until about 2 years ago. And I've been a QVC shopper since the beginning. Never heard of him or Linea until I saw him present something. I thought he was new to QVC! lol I like his classical looks but actually buying something was practically impossible. I bought two wonderful cardigans and I dearly wanted the matching pants but I could never get them in the size and color I wanted. A few times, I got up in the wee hours to watch a Linea show and never could actually buy anything. It seemed like it was all sold out before the show even went on. Now I know that was true! So, I gave up on Linea. I don't just want to "look", I want to buy.

Respected Contributor

Louis Dell'Olio is known as 'Mr. Customer Top Rated'!

58% of Linea Items are Customer Top Rated.

No other QVC 'Designer' even comes close to that percentage!

Valued Contributor

They are both the "real deal". They are fashion and understand a womans' body. My Dad was a men's tailor. He taught me well. These guys are the best QVC has to offer. They are classic, not trendy (LOGO) comes to mind. Their clothes will always be in style. Next year nobody will want shark bites and layers.