Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Thanks for your kind words.  I do understand the frustration with those big furry tail guys !!    Wow, sounds like you have the Piliated woodpeckers ???  We used to have a pair of them for a few years, I guess they have moved on because we haven't seen them in a while now.  Magnificent bird !! 

Enjoy your apples, nothing like the smell of them baking in the oven Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have several bird books.  I'll go out on the back porch in a little while and check.

There's a spider hanging on the storm door glass.  We thought we got it yesterday, it must be another one.  He looks different.  They're all just wood spiders (big and ugly but won't hurt).  They're coming out to get warm, I guess.

I had someone from Terminix come to spray inside and out before my daughter came (her request).  She grew up here and I was just telling her she was never bothered by the bugs.  None of the bugs you usually see in a house but the bugs you see outdoors.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@LindaSal  What?  Are you kidding me?  Have you ever checked on the price of shelled bird seed?  Have you ever seen how a (that would be singular...one) squirrel can in a few minutes suck out all of that seed from a feeder?  Plus they chase away the birds.  That's what bothers me more than anything.

I know people who shoot off guns to scare away the squirrels.  I live out in 'county' surrounded by woods.  There are so many squirrels around, it's crazy.

My daughter throws out seed in the yard because they'll come anyway and she thinks it keeps them away from the feeder.

Those squirrels will even eat the suet that I put out for the huge woodpeckers.  

Birds cannot taste or smell.  It's actually meant for the seed to mix it in, but I don't do that.  I don't because it clogs up the seed in the feeder and mostly because I don't think it's good for the birds to consume it.

What do you think?  Do you think the squirrels sit and drink or lick the hot sauce?  If you do...duh?  No!  They get near it and they can smell it.

It's not poisonous.  It only takes a time or two for them to get the message. 

As soon as it rains at all, it's gone until I put it out on the pole or dribble a little around the pole.

Just for an experiment, because you are so concerned about the squirrels, buy a feeder and buy the seed that is already shelled so there's no mess.  Put it out where squirrels can get it and see how long that seed lasts.  Then check back here.

I'm sure there are others here who have the same problem I do.  People who are very serious about feeding birds will tell you the same thing.

Some people go crazy because the squirrels bury their nuts in the ground and planters then they dig up the planters to get to the nuts.

That also happens to me, but it's not a big deal.  I see that as something nature taught them to do to survive and even though my plants are pulled out (roots and all), I just stick them back in.  I do not put the hot sauce in the planters because it's not fair to the squirrels and if not careful it will burn the roots of the plants.

Phew!  Now I'm exhausted explaining why I do what I do.  I don't usually find it necessary to explain something that I think seems obvious.  Like I said, I'm not alone. Most people who seriously feed the birds say the same thing.

I doubt there are many squirrels who die from hunger.  Incidentally, usually in the winter I don't put it near all of the feeders because I understand the squirrels need some food....just not all of my feeders.

Your post is spot on. My BF has been in this constant fight with the squirrels since Spring, all Summer, into Fall... using all the above tactics to try to still feed the squirrels, but keep them off the dang bird feeder...to no avail yet. Those squirrels are the most tenatious of all wild animals, if you ask me...and they've figured out EVERY "work around." It's a bit comical...but not funny, if you get me. Yes to ALL you said. He's bought several different feeders, tried the sewit thing on the ground for the squirrel, it ate that immediately then went back for the bird feeder!  Amazing how much and how FAST they go through it ALL, including the tomato plant, until it realized it didn't like that so much. Eats it all. And yes...I've heard about the ceyenne or pepper sauce technique...doesn't kill or harm them, just deters them...if you are lucky...didn't deter our squirrels.  Anyhow...I "get it" and I'm with you.

As for the D&C "squirrel" thing...it also needs to go. (But Gary's ok...good sport, knowlegable, likeable, doing his best I believe.)

Esteemed Contributor

To me, D&C always selled its self.  It is a lasting QVC brand which did/does not need a designer fronting it. IMO.

Trusted Contributor

Although I like Caroln Gracie as a host, I seldom if ever see a cute garment I would wear.  In my opinion and taste I think the clothes look matronly for the most part.  Of course there obviously are woman who like the clothing line so good for them. 

Idon't purchase much here, but when I do it is Isaac. Not a fan of the other brands most of the time.

Super Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

Although I like Caroln Gracie as a host, I seldom if ever see a cute garment I would wear.  In my opinion and taste I think the clothes look matronly for the most part.  Of course there obviously are woman who like the clothing line so good for them. 

Idon't purchase much here, but when I do it is Isaac. Not a fan of the other brands most of the time.

AGREE.  Not a fan at all.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 @LindaSal 

Apparently squirrels are pushy little buggers! LOL watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wKbUpn3Pc

Esteemed Contributor

For squirrels........buy a baffle.  I have one on my bird feeder and no trouble w/squirrels.  They come around and eat what's on the ground, but there's no way they can get to the bird feeder with the baffle on the pole.  Amazon has them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo   That was pretty funny !!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Andreatoo   That was pretty funny !!  LOL

@LindaSal 

He probably just got a snoot full of @Annabellethecat66 's hot sauce! LOL

Woman Wink

I do think it would indicate they're pretty smart!