Frequent Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Not a big fan of D&C anymore.  What I find weird is when Gary states if it was in his size he would buy one for himself !!!!   Really????  The silly squirrel thing has got to go but @Annabellethecat66  hot pepper liquid???!!!  That is really mean, sorry but all animals need food and water Smiley Sad

OH WOW.  That is weird.  D&C just seems to be nothing more that "fast fashion" at his point.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I am sorry I didn't mean to offend.  I am not ignorant to the issues squirrels can cause.  I lived out in the woods too most of my life and am perfectly versed on birds having had many feeders on my property for many years.  It's just my opinion to not stress animals in any way.  And putting that hot oil out could easily affect or harm other animals indirectly.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gary of D & Co.

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@LindaSal  What?  Are you kidding me?  Have you ever checked on the price of shelled bird seed?  Have you ever seen how a (that would be singular...one) squirrel can in a few minutes suck out all of that seed from a feeder?  Plus they chase away the birds.  That's what bothers me more than anything.

I know people who shoot off guns to scare away the squirrels.  I live out in 'county' surrounded by woods.  There are so many squirrels around, it's crazy.

My daughter throws out seed in the yard because they'll come anyway and she thinks it keeps them away from the feeder.

Those squirrels will even eat the suet that I put out for the huge woodpeckers.  

Birds cannot taste or smell.  It's actually meant for the seed to mix it in, but I don't do that.  I don't because it clogs up the seed in the feeder and mostly because I don't think it's good for the birds to consume it.

What do you think?  Do you think the squirrels sit and drink or lick the hot sauce?  If you do...duh?  No!  They get near it and they can smell it.

It's not poisonous.  It only takes a time or two for them to get the message. 

As soon as it rains at all, it's gone until I put it out on the pole or dribble a little around the pole.

Just for an experiment, because you are so concerned about the squirrels, buy a feeder and buy the seed that is already shelled so there's no mess.  Put it out where squirrels can get it and see how long that seed lasts.  Then check back here.

I'm sure there are others here who have the same problem I do.  People who are very serious about feeding birds will tell you the same thing.

Some people go crazy because the squirrels bury their nuts in the ground and planters then they dig up the planters to get to the nuts.

That also happens to me, but it's not a big deal.  I see that as something nature taught them to do to survive and even though my plants are pulled out (roots and all), I just stick them back in.  I do not put the hot sauce in the planters because it's not fair to the squirrels and if not careful it will burn the roots of the plants.

Phew!  Now I'm exhausted explaining why I do what I do.  I don't usually find it necessary to explain something that I think seems obvious.  Like I said, I'm not alone. Most people who seriously feed the birds say the same thing.

I doubt there are many squirrels who die from hunger.  Incidentally, usually in the winter I don't put it near all of the feeders because I understand the squirrels need some food....just not all of my feeders.

@Annabellethecat66  I feed my birds Safflower seed. Squirrels don't like it. Edited to add, I also have a feeder and pole the squirrels cannot get into. Got it all at Wild Birds and have had it for many years. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal OMG!  You didn't upset me and please don't apologize.

Look, the way I think is there's totally too much apologizing going on....and it's mostly by the people who have goodness in their heart....not the one's who should be apologizing.

I didn't mean to sound so full of myself.  It's just that it's a touchy (kinda Ha Ha touchy) subject with me.  My friend I eat with maybe 4 times a week teases me about my on-going battle with the squirrels.

My dear sweet daughter that's with me right now USED to get upset at my use of the hot stuff (it's expensive so I use drops of it).  

But I've shown her what happens when the birds get 'pushed aside' by the squirrels.  Now she sees that's the best way to keep them away.  These squirrels are so used to noise that doesn't scare them.  I used to pound on the storm door we keep propped open going out to the screened back porch and I guess they got used to it.

Here's the running joke my friend and I (well...she does) go back and forth.  I have just about every joke card made about squirrels (my friend means well).  Actually, it is sweet because her late husband was just like me with the squirrels and I almost feel privileged that she'll joke with me like she did him.

I've bought her bird feeders, seed, socks, books identifying birds, you name it but she still won't put out the feeders at her house because she doesn't want to go nutty (sorry couldn't resist) like her late husband and me...Ha!

My favorite bird to watch are the woodpeckers eating the suet.  But there again as soon as it rains it washes away the suet.  The huge woodpeckers don't like the suet holders that have lids on them.  They''re so huge (like a small owl) they can't get in to eat it.

Phew!  It's Saturday morning and I've worked up a sweat.

Finally, once again I need to reiterate that you didn't need to apologize.  I've read your posts and I know you are a sweet girl and meant no malice at all.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

My 2 daughters, granddaughter and grandson just left to go apple picking.  They have a reserved time slot.

Apples, apples everywhere!  Maybe we'll not only make apple pie, apple sauce but throw some in the breadmaker too.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt What clothing lines do you prefer?

Trusted Contributor

Why does Carolyn wear D& C clothes she is presenting when they are too small on her? She had that houndstooth jacket on and it was pulling at the buttons.  It really looked terrible on her.

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Why does Carolyn wear D& C clothes she is presenting when they are too small on her? She had that houndstooth jacket on and it was pulling at the buttons.  It really looked terrible on her.

@Jinlei  She always wears clothes too small. She must think they make her look thinner but they don't.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@Jinlei  She always wears clothes too small. She must think they make her look thinner but they don't.

@proudlyfromNJ    I agree.  I am a larger size and do not squeeze myself in clothes that are too small, it just accentuates your size even more.  Some of the plus sized models I feel sorry for because they are squeezed into clothes so smal it just shows all the things you do not want anyone to see.   Have a nice weekend!

Honored Contributor

I own & ❤️ many D&C items.  D&C makes up the bulk of my work from home wardrobe.  The beach pants are the best!  The line wears well, launders well & lasts.  In fact, I only get rid of items when my closet starts to overflow & I need to clean it out!

As far as the squirrel...I agree it needs to go!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Glitter51 wrote:

when I first heard Gary say that he'd buy  things if it was in his size- I thought I just misunderstood, but he says it a lot. That's just weird in my opinion.  

Oh good heavens -- he just means that he likes the fabric or the color/print (usually a check or plaid) or the silhouette of something (a fleece hoodie, for example). He's not saying he wants to buy and wear women's clothing.