Honored Contributor

Before I would not look at GS clothes. BUT,I found some great pieces this year. Things (brand new) for .25,$1.00. I am now a believer. And no shipping costs.

Honored Contributor

I have found some great deals at garage sales -- Waterford, 14k jewelry, Brahmin and Coach handbags, etc etc. I save most of the 14k jewelry and sell it for cash and always come out way ahead.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you done good!!!  I used to do yard sales, etc. and I would occasionally find something interesting or nice.  I haven't done this in ages.  You never know what you might come across and it's a fun way to be spend a Saturday morning or afternoon.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

In the last neighborhood I lived in- 10 years ago our neighborhood had a community yard sale every year.  I bought and sold many of my children's clothes during these sales.  Anything I did not sell, I would take to a children's consignment shop to see if I could sell anything else.  It was a great way to buy clothes for my daughters as young kids are always growing out of their clothes.  I have to say that I have never found any clothing for myself at a garage sale.  I miss those sales.  I often donated our proceeds to the local food bank.  I live in an upscale neighborhood now where I guess yard sales are frowned upon.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not a yard saler, but my sister is and always finds nice things. I have, though, purchased from thrift stores. I remember as a little girl my mom taking us to rummage sales at the church.

Honored Contributor

No garage sales or yard sales.

But I do love good vintage shops.  Finding limited edition fashion of well-known designers (so I can trust the quality) that introduced the item decades ago is a very satisfying treasure hunt.  

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper What well known designers? I am just curious.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper What well known designers? I am just curious.

@Group 5 minus 1  I have an Alexander Wang handbag and a Victoria Beckham sweater.

My adult son has a 90's Eddie Bauer down winter parka, plus a lot more.   

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Funny story. Many decades ago my mom, who enjoyed "garaging" but rarely purchased, found a beautiful cream colored coat and matching dress at a garage sale marked $5!!!! They had a designer label (don't recall which one but it was one I knew and it was not  fake) and she wore them for about 3 years.

They looked really nice and whenever someone complimented her she had such fun telling the story of how she found them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Garage Sale clothes

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 

Glad you've found some great deals! 

I haven't shopped for clothes at yard or garage sales, but I have bought quite a few pieces at my local thrift & consignment stores the past few years. Found some things I really love at good prices. I would never have shopped those kinds of stores 10 years ago. 

I have friends who shop garage and yard sales for children and grandchildren clothes. Makes a lot of sense because kids grow and change sizes often.