Trusted Contributor

I can think of a lot worse things to be called than this.  does not bother me in the least.  People are too critical of everything these days.  Pretty soon you won't be able to say anything on the pretense that it might offend somebody.  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Duck wrote:

I originated in the Midwest and have been in the South for 30 years.  I find "Hon" more offensive that "Girl".  As far as I know, Hon is a southern thing.  My husband picked up the habit of saying Hon to female servers at restaurants.  I cringe everytime he uses that term.  I think it is being overly friendly to someone he doesn't know.

@Lucky Duck 

I have lived in the south, northeast, south and southwest and I find "Hon" to sound lazy.  I have heard it everywhere I ever lived and still don't like it.  It's a lazy way of say "M'am, Miss", or whatever respectable term for a lady/female.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm not offended but I don't like it.  And I dont think its a Southern thing.  I think it started as an ethnic expression and spread like wildfire.

You don't hear people calling, "Hey boy".  In some places those would be fighting words.

@Kachina624- So, you're saying there's an ethnic group who coined the phrase "Hey Girl"?

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal.  Yes, but just the address, "girl".  I can remember when it started.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qbetzforreal.  Yes, but just the address, "girl".  I can remember when it started.

@Kachina624-Nevermind.  SMH.

Honored Contributor

girl please......it is so NOT offensive. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't mind it. Like others say, if it is said with affection, etc, it doesn't bother me or any expression like it.

I don't like to be called M'am either but have discovered many young people in the south do call anyone 30 and over that out of respect.

You know one term I really don't like because it is usually always said with dislike or condescension, is this:

"The woman" always ... or "the woman" is...

Like it is said as their name rather than calling them by their name) which is usually known).

It's different to say that woman is so...

or the woman who does this is...

To call someone "the woman" is said like a putdown I've read it on here many times. I think it is something I've only ever heard used by older people. And I mean 50 and over. Maybe even somewhat younger.

I think you all know what I mean, I guess.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Shanus I think it's better than "you guys" when addressing adult women.

Honored Contributor

It depends on how it's used.  It can go either way.  I have had it used on me when it was done in a playful, fun way.  I have also had it used on me in a derogatory and demeaning  way.  I don't really think it is attributable to any particular area.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a regional thing.   "You guys" is very common around here and it sure doesn't bother me.   But "girl" or "gurllll" is offensive to me.  It's right up there with "Hon"  or  "Sweetie."  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt