Respected Contributor

@IamDoodles wrote:

I can think of a lot worse things to be called than this.  does not bother me in the least.  People are too critical of everything these days.  Pretty soon you won't be able to say anything on the pretense that it might offend somebody.  

This will likely offend someone. 😏. I agree.

Honored Contributor

It does not offend me.  It's not something that I even would think about.

It cracks me up what people are offended by these days. I think offended has truly lost its meaning.  Everyone is offended by something.  

Valued Contributor

couldn't care less. Pretty soon we will need some kind of rulebook or handbook on which words we can use and which ones need to be removed from the dictionary,  All that'll be left soas not to offendy anyone is to take a vow of silence 

Valued Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It doesn't bother me but it all depends on how certain words are delivered. I worked for Publix for many years and at one point we weren't allowed to tell a customer 'have a nice day' because it was being used in a really sarcastic manner! LOL Wasn't my style but a lot of people did do it. Nothing funnier than hearing a customer lodge a complaint with management that the stock boy or the cashier told her or him to have a nice day!

One term that always irritates the cwap out of me is mommy or mama from someone who is not my child! I just hate it

yes, if someone came in and complained or was nasty to an employee, smiling at them and saying "have a nice day" is just being snarky. Under your breath you're most likely saying something a whole lot different. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Do you find this expression offensive? Last night, Kim G. kept calling everyone, "Hey, Girl....". ...I know it's a Southern thing and I hear it often, just not sure I like it. 

BTW, purchased the tee with elbow length sleeves and tie on the side A 289018 in black, white (duh?) and twilight (navy). So cute!!

@Shanus 

It's not a southern thing.  I don't like it.  I find it offensive. I don't like being called "girl" and I am called that by people who are younger and perhaps should address me in a more mature and adult manner.  Even as a young woman, I respected my peers and especially my senior peers as m'am and Ms or Mrs.  I do not understand this new  slang.

@Nonametoday   I'm so glad you see it as I see it. I don't really know if it's a southern thing, but I hear it down here a lot...too much. Maybe it's because I majored in art AND English. I deal with people and am concious of how the spoken word may make a person feel. My SIL calls my daughter "Babe". I find it disrespectful...she's 48 and they've been married over 20 years. She's not a babe, but rather a grown woman. It also makes it sounds, to me, like she's a "street walker".  I didn't like it when he called her that when they started dating and it stills makes the hairs on my neck stand up. 

Girl, Guuurl, Yo, Hey, being called Guys when being seated in restaurants (whoa that was awhile ago) are not respectful terms. They are teenage sounding like when my older granddaughter answers "yaaas" instead of yes. She's 12, but when people grow up, they should be out of that stage and using that terminology. I'm not the "word police". These are just my feelings. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay   One of the vendors here refer to us as "Girls" as a group, not women or ladies. It's a male, and I wish I could remember who it is. For a man to say, "Girls, you need to buy this" to me is disrespectful. I doubt if any girls (ages below 12-13) are his audience. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo  Yes, Mally is guilty of calling us "Mommy". I'm not her Mommy. 

Respected Contributor

@IamDoodles wrote:

I can think of a lot worse things to be called than this.  does not bother me in the least.  People are too critical of everything these days.  Pretty soon you won't be able to say anything on the pretense that it might offend somebody.  

I so agree. People seem to want to find things to get annoyed about. When someone is being friendly why be so picky about what silly thing they call someone? 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus  @Andreatoo  And most of us haven't been called "Mommy" for decades! Mally's use of that term makes my skin crawl. I cannot watch/listen to her creepy babytalk. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Then don't go to 99% of the small, excellent, mom & pop diners in the Bronx, NY.  Nearly every waitress will call you Mommy.  "Good morning Mommy, can I get you coffee?"How were those pancakes Mommy?"

It's meant and used as a term of endearment, and to make you feel that you are among friends and feel right at home.

But I admit, Mally is forcing it, since you really should know your audience, and region, before using it.