Respected Contributor

"Chic" IS pronounced "sheek."

Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:
@Q4u wrote:

Earlier in the day they were proudly stating that they sold 8,000 units.... Woman Frustrated

Are you kidding me?  Even if that number jumped to 20k for the entire day, that's not wildly popular when you consider the Earth Origin tall boots sold like 60k for the day!

You can tell me it's "sheek" and "monied" and all that but it just doesn't have universal appeal.  It's cute on the smaller models but absolutely looks out of proportion of the larger models....  s

It's neither "chic" or "moneyed". It's unattractive, unflattering, and ridiculously overpriced. It's not even all leather. I predict there wil be MANY returns.

======================================================

Just a footnote.... the spelling "sheek" instead of "chic" was put there tongue-in-cheek as a reference to the one designer out there that says it every five minutes.  It's spelled that way because that's the way she pronounces it....

Also, there are apparently those that DO love it or it wouldn't have had the sales it's had.  I personally don't care for it but did think it looked cute on the smaller models.  I also think that the cache that QVC is trying to push with this brand just won't get there IMHO.  It's a shopping channel and it'll be very difficult getting people to take GILI seriously.....  

THAT'S THE WAY "CHIC" IS PRONOUNCED.

Respected Contributor

I thought the jacket was adorable, but did not buy. I also do not need another leather jacket at this time.  It also looks so much stylewise like the strip leather jacket-a favorite of mine.

Honored Contributor

My issue with the majority of G.I.L.I items is they're over embellished. The jacket is a nice cut..and then the cotton extending over the lapels? 'Print'? Kind of like plating 14k gold with stainless steel!

Perhaps it's my imagination but I recall the line being more tastefully designed when Lisa had a hand in it...

Esteemed Contributor

Received my jacket in olive this afternoon and here's my impressions:

PROS: The olive color is deliciously beautiful. The printing or imprinting or whatever that design is called is very nice, I like the textured effect. I have bought size 2 and 4 in Gili jackets, got this in a 4 and it just fits (and I have narrow shoulders and thin arms).

CONS: I am struggling with the cotton inlay on the lapels. Not in love with the fabric, seems like they could have found something that didn't look so, well, cheap. The whole jacket, though packed immaculately, arrived with many wrinkles, particularly the lapels. Jill said we could gently iron so will try that.

It looks cute on, my favorite look is to not fold the lapels back, but crisscross them in front in a V where only leather shows and belt it. I am on the fence, will try on tomorrow after pressing the wrinkles when I'm all dolled up and see if I feel less iffy. The online reviews are all over the place, so it's one of those clothing pieces that people either like or don't.

@Andreatoo, I would guess that this jacket was inspired by Lisa, not Jill, since it takes about a year to get a garment from design thru production. To me, it has that Lisa imprimatur.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

My issue with the majority of G.I.L.I items is they're over embellished. The jacket is a nice cut..and then the cotton extending over the lapels? 'Print'? Kind of like plating 14k gold with stainless steel!

Perhaps it's my imagination but I recall the line being more tastefully designed when Lisa had a hand in it...

I don't own a lot of GILI, but I don't find the line to be overembellished at all.

Maggie--sorry you don't Love it!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack I wasn't sure how the cotton would play out on the lapels.  I thought it might give it a bit of a cool, casual, surprise element that could be really fun.  In one of the two presentations I saw, I noticed a bit of odd wrinkling.  Still the olive green you chose was amazing.  That would have been my choice too.  Try it on a couple of times...then decide.

Whenever I have the chance to see a GILI show I see an item or two that I like quite a bit.  In my old life of working in a dressed up office environment, I'm sure I would have picked up several things.  Now that I work from home I put much less $ into clothing/accessories so I haven't had a chance to test GILI in person.

Esteemed Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

@MaggieMack I wasn't sure how the cotton would play out on the lapels.  I thought it might give it a bit of a cool, casual, surprise element that could be really fun.  In one of the two presentations I saw, I noticed a bit of odd wrinkling.  Still the olive green you chose was amazing.  That would have been my choice too.  Try it on a couple of times...then decide.

Whenever I have the chance to see a GILI show I see an item or two that I like quite a bit.  In my old life of working in a dressed up office environment, I'm sure I would have picked up several things.  Now that I work from home I put much less $ into clothing/accessories so I haven't had a chance to test GILI in person.

@islandgrrl, I work only sporadically and then I have to wear grubbies (recently appointed to settle the estate of a hoarder - you can't IMAGINE!), so I buy fun clothes in anticipation of "date nights." Haha. My dates are usually one and done, I'm too picky I hear, but it sure is fun dressing up for them!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack Date night is the best reason I can think of to buy a fun new jacket.  

Good luck with your estate project.  Sounds very challenging but I'm sure it will mean a lot to the family.