Honored Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. Sizing! What is Lisa and the buyers doing???

I agree with you ladies. Retail is in the business of making money. QVC offers more than 3/4 of their clothes up to a size 3X.

My first thought was I agree that there are some clothes that would not look good on a size 2 and 3X (last year I was a 2X so I know). However, it is not for anyone to decide what does or doesn't look good. It is fair though that QVC should be able to offer whatever sizes and clothes they want.

The word FAIR is not really a word that is in the RETAIL business. The word MONEY is what is in the RETAIL business. Their shareholders aren't interested in how fair something is, they want to know how much money QVC made.

I know. Much of my money is invested in the stock market. My money manager told me that last year he earned me 16% interest on my money.

That's what I like to hear. Like I said, the word Fair is not part of the retail business, nor should it be.

Honored Contributor

When will I learn...? LOL I just took a peak at GILI and I didn't see anything that stopped at 22. GILI does indeed offer the rull range of sizes.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a 18w and I absolutely agree that not all fashions look,good on a PLUS size figure. There is one very famous male designer on QVC who continually states that "This style looks good on all sizes". Ah, no, I believed you and ordered it and guess what ? It does not look good on this PLUS size woman.
Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2014 chrystaltree said:

When will I learn...? LOL I just took a peak at GILI and I didn't see anything that stopped at 22. GILI does indeed offer the rull range of sizes.

Yes, they do. Perhaps the item(s) the OP was looking at sold out in the plus sizes. My complaint about the Gili brand is the sleeve length. I bought a really cute blouse yet the sleeves cover the top of my hands. On the picture of the model it comes to the wrist. So, Qvc et al is basically still interpreting for talls.

edited:typo

Valued Contributor

I know someone who is a plus-sized woman, and for years her motto has been "just because they make it in that size, doesn't mean you should wear it."
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/21/2014 StuffyBug said: I know someone who is a plus-sized woman, and for years her motto has been "just because they make it in that size, doesn't mean you should wear it."
ITA
Honored Contributor

I think GILI might stop at size 22 because so many of the styles won't complement a very large woman's body. No disrepect intended, I'm a size 16/18 myself. I was once a size 28. GILI clothes tend to have lean, close to the body fit and that just won't work well on most very large women. They probably omit 24-28's because most would just be returned and there'd be a lot of negative comments. I looked a cool GILI leather jacket with great gold hardware (that I love) and I imagined myself in that jacket and burst out laughing. It was SHORT and TIGHT and meant to be worn that way. Sizing up would just make things worse. I'd end up with a short, tight jacket with that was too big in the shoulder area. I just accepted the facts, that particular jacket wasn't made for a fuller figure.

That's exactly how I feel. Even if they are offered in larger sizes, I see them on the models and think the clothes are beautiful - on the models. They would not look that way on me and I don't even consider buying them.

Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I think GILI might stop at size 22 because so many of the styles won't complement a very large woman's body. No disrepect intended, I'm a size 16/18 myself. I was once a size 28. GILI clothes tend to have lean, close to the body fit and that just won't work well on most very large women. They probably omit 24-28's because most would just be returned and there'd be a lot of negative comments. I looked a cool GILI leather jacket with great gold hardware (that I love) and I imagined myself in that jacket and burst out laughing. It was SHORT and TIGHT and meant to be worn that way. Sizing up would just make things worse. I'd end up with a short, tight jacket with that was too big in the shoulder area. I just accepted the facts, that particular jacket wasn't made for a fuller figure.

That's exactly how I feel. Even if they are offered in larger sizes, I see them on the models and think the clothes are beautiful - on the models. They would not look that way on me and I don't even consider buying them.

I saw that jacket and wasn't interested either and wear a Qvc size 2.

Super Contributor

On 2/21/2014 StuffyBug said: I know someone who is a plus-sized woman, and for years her motto has been "just because they make it in that size, doesn't mean you should wear it."

ITA .. and I've been all sizes from an 18/20 down to a 9/10. There are some things I'd never wear as an 18/20 size but would look great on a 9 - 12, for example.

Respected Contributor

Why would you want to purchase items from this line anyway? Most of the items have poor reviews and the clothing appears to be quite fitted. I don't watch the show, but from reviewing the pieces online, it seems that the pieces would only be flattering on someone size 10 or smaller. Women who are size 14 and up need to be careful about the pieces that they choose. It's much more of a challenge to look good in clothing...Just a fact!