Trusted Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. Obi Belt, Feb TSV Chat

I receive the Q Insider and I pre-ordered the soft gold Obi belt. It is $49.00 and I think it is a good deal. This will be my first Obi belt. For reference I am 5 feet 1 and a 4p. 

Respected Contributor

Did I notice, from another photo, that this version has a slit through which the ends are threaded as it is wrapped? Do the older versions have that feature? It thought those simply wrapped around and tied. Just wondering if I saw/interpreted correctly.

Esteemed Contributor

Can anyone advise me on sizing?  Are they supposed to wrap around a couple times?

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Can anyone advise me on sizing?  Are they supposed to wrap around a couple times?

I bought the obi belt that they have shown a thousand times in XS/S, and it has a length of 96". The same size in the new obi is only 88". If I decide to order the TSV obi, I will order size M/L, which is 96". You don't want it to be too short or you are going to be disappointed if you can't tie a bow after wrapping around yourself. My waist is 27".

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@dperry wrote:

I receive the Q Insider and I pre-ordered the soft gold Obi belt. It is $49.00 and I think it is a good deal. This will be my first Obi belt. For reference I am 5 feet 1 and a 4p. 

@Squirrel Lover Thx for posting & hope you love it. I really like the soft gold. I think I'm buying the soft gold & doe. But the black looks rich & would be very versatile. Decisions Woman Tongue 

Too bad Q is holding up shipping. Would be very helpful to have those that pre-order receive & post reviews before the TSV date. We need more details like the width measurement, confirm what appears to be slits to feed the straps during the wrap process & comment about the quality of the leather + embossing.  

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

Did I notice, from another photo, that this version has a slit through which the ends are threaded as it is wrapped? Do the older versions have that feature? It thought those simply wrapped around and tied. Just wondering if I saw/interpreted correctly.

@jonbon Good observation re: the slit! I too noticed it in the closeup photo on the website. I think it will help to give a more polished look when wearing the belt. The current belts do not have this feature so the straps overlap at a slight angle along your backside. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

I have three of the original Gili obi, this one is different.  It's not as wide and doesn't seem like an obi.  I want a pale blue but I want the orginal belt.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@eddyandme I believe the GILI Obi belts are designed to wrap once. I only have leather obi belts and they wrap once. Some softer fabric type obi belts may wrap more than once.

The current/top selling QVC Obi belt with the double panel & thin wrap straps A264009, I have in black. The nice thing about the thin straps is you can easily tie it several different ways or sometimes I just tuck it in. 

You definitely want it to be long enough to easily wrap and tie, better slightly longer than too short. Also if you plan to wear it over bulkier fabrics like a sweater or outer coat, longer is better. @MaggieMack posted some info above on sizing. Also you can talk with QVC CS to discuss you measurements & what they would recommend.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

I bought the obi belt that they have shown a thousand times in XS/S, and it has a length of 96". The same size in the new obi is only 88". If I decide to order the TSV obi, I will order size M/L, which is 96". You don't want it to be too short or you are going to be disappointed if you can't tie a bow after wrapping around yourself. My waist is 27".

@MaggieMack-hi Maggie. Thx for highlighting the difference in strap length, 8" is pretty significant and excellent advice about sizing. I need to think about this because I like to wear the Obi over some bulkier jackets and coats as well as LOGO type tops. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@MaggieMack-hi Maggie. Thx for highlighting the difference in strap length, 8" is pretty significant and excellent advice about sizing. I need to think about this because I like to wear the Obi over some bulkier jackets and coats as well as LOGO type tops. 

I don't know if you should size up or not? There is a slit in this belt and others complained it was too big in the other style A254683 that has a slit. The measurements on that belt are similar( 88" s/m, 96" m/l) to the TSV belt. Please review sizing if anyone receives the TSV belt before it airs.

similar obi belt A254683

http://www.qvc.com/G.I.L.I.-Leather-Obi-Wrap-Belt.product.A254683.html?refType=IOFFER&refNumber=A272...