Respected Contributor

Re: Funny thing about clothes; does this happen to others?

clothes or outfits that i used to love i have definitely one day fallen out of love with.  it may be the time has come for them to go to consignment because i don't understand what else could have happened!

Respected Contributor

Yes, and I'm kind of bummed when that happens, because I find that I'm not as crazy about shopping for replacements as I was when I was younger. I remember feeling sad for my Mom when she said she didn't think shopping for clothes was fun anymore when she got older.
Honored Contributor

For sure!!!

I do this a lot lately.  I don't know what's with me.  Just like you described it.  Nothing wrong with the clothing at all.  They fit o.k.  Not out of style.  Just regular clothes.  When I was wearing them regularly, I thought they were really nice outfits and was proud to wear them.  Now -- I look at me in them and think --- yuck!  They don't do a thing for me --- or, I for them!!!!  Maybe things are shifting in my body or something???? 

For one thing, and I am not saying this is what is happening to others, but I find the older I get, the more I want things --- everything covered up.  For example, tops.  I never wear low cut but even ones that I used to wear that had a slight dip to them.  Now, I put them on and I feel so uncomfortable -- so bare!!!  

And slacks -- I don't want them baggy by any means -- but I can't stand them to be really snug.  

I was actually thinking when I was shopping for awhile the other day that if I had more money, I'd probably ditch about everything in my closets and start all over again.  And this time-- I'd really take my time and be very, very picky!!!  I'd buy way less, and make sure each piece suited me to a tee!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Happens to us all, even classic non-trendy can get boring.

It's OK  go shopping and get something updated.

I don't think everything stays in the closet forever with few exceptions

Esteemed Contributor

I feel it might have something to do with the fact that we, as women, are a fickle lot.  I can be perfectly satisfied with something in my closet, until I purchase something new.  Then that old thing becomes the ugly step-sister.  

I clearly understand this about me and for that reason I try to keep my wardrobe small.  Everything in my closet (with the exception of a few special cashmere sweaters) is from 2014/2015.  I now part with anything I don't love.  It is my version of Jennifer Scott's 10 Piece Wardrobe.  

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

I feel it might have something to do with the fact that we, as women, are a fickle lot.  I can be perfectly satisfied with something in my closet, until I purchase something new.  Then that old thing becomes the ugly step-sister.  

I clearly understand this about me and for that reason I try to keep my wardrobe small.  Everything in my closet (with the exception of a few special cashmere sweaters) is from 2014/2015.  I now part with anything I don't love.  It is my version of Jennifer Scott's 10 Piece Wardrobe.  

@magicmoodz

I SO envy your determination and follow through. I do donate a ton each year, but my closet volume never seems to shrink. Next year! Woman LOL

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack

Hi Maggie!  

It wasn't an easy concept for me to adopt.  I am by nature a "saver" and also try to be aware of spending my money wisely.  But I also have a goal in mind and that is to live "clean".  I want to have only the things I love and love the things I have.  That means if I bought something last month and it falls out of favor this month, it goes to donation.  

I no longer have to weed through my closet to find an outfit that is just ok and I can truly say I am so much happier living with less!  

Respected Contributor

Posters have hit on some great points: body morphs into new looks as we age; fashion trends spin by; level of comfort changes as the body changes, etc.

For those who have examined their closet contents and done "surgery" and donated, they have gotten room for more classics to be added.  More importantly, they are saving time by not having to go through their large inventory daily and making the same old decisions on what to wear and being frustrated.  Starting the day in a calm, comfortable and confident state of mind and body is a blessing that pays dividends.

Been there; done that...and am still at 70 doing that !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Yes, it has happened to me before. It is annoying. lol...

Mostly, it happened when I was losing weight and fitting into old clothes I had liked too much to get rid of. I recall a pair of striped pants that I loved so much I bought another pair in a different color. I just did not care for them anymore. They might have been dated but I could not find anything specific that pointed to that. They went to consignment. 

I am finding I don't want to wear some of my cardigans with points in front a (uneven hems) anymore. I've never been a huge fan of the uneven hem trend but it is hard to avoid.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Oh yes! Like Wildbob I am beginning to feel that way about the uneven( sharkbite,asymetrical, hi-low) hems. They looked so current when purchased ,but now I am tiring of some of them. and open cardigans. I guess thy name is fashion or at least with females more so. I do not believe DH has ever said I don't like this denim shirt and jeans anymore when dressing !