Valued Contributor

Funny thing about clothes; does this happen to others?

Today I was getting dressed and put on an outfit I hadn't worn in quite a while, but used to wear frequently.  Well today it suddenly looked all wrong and I didn't like it anymore!!

It's not that it's outdated, or not in "style" because I tend to only buy classic non-trendy clothes. Just seemed like a strange thing how you could wear an outfit for years, then all of a sudden seems that it no longer works? Anyone else have this happen?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Funny thing about clothes; does this happen to others?

I have certainly had those moments. They usually end with, "What was I thinking!?!?!"

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

This happens a lot when I do the changeover for the new season.  I will wash everything and then start trying them all on.  And then, there will always be the jackets, etc. that just do not look right but they did.  It can be due to weight gain and it seems like I gain weight in different areas each year, I lose a little but put it back on in a different spot.  This year, my slacks are tight around the middle and loose in the leg area. The jackets are pulling in the button area in the front and just do not look right on me.  So I am donating a lot of the clothes since they do not look good on me.  But it is a reason to shop.  I do like to get classic clothes also because they tend to last year to year, if they would only fit.

Miata 1

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it has happened many times to me.

Respected Contributor

I think that over time our clothes lose body and color.  They may still fit the same but they can look a bit tired.  I'm sure your outfit looked fabulous for a long time -- it may now just need to be retired.  

Honored Contributor

Absolutely. I find that this happens mostly with pants/jeans. Even though l haven't gained any weight, the pants are harder to zip up. That's b/c my butt has traveled to the front, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it has happened to me ..... I put the clothes in a bag & donate everything to the poor ... at least somebody will get something they might not be able to get on their own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HB glamma wrote:

Today I was getting dressed and put on an outfit I hadn't worn in quite a while, but used to wear frequently.  Well today it suddenly looked all wrong and I didn't like it anymore!!

It's not that it's outdated, or not in "style" because I tend to only buy classic non-trendy clothes. Just seemed like a strange thing how you could wear an outfit for years, then all of a sudden seems that it no longer works? Anyone else have this happen?

***  Our taste changes, proportations in clothes changes, we like other items, and we change too.  We begin to see what we "thought we never saw before" when actually we have become more broad in our thinking.  Look at fashion magazines from several years back.  I'm sure you looked fine then girlfriend!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  I agree that it mostly has to do with proportions.  When I took out my turtlenecks and winter long sleeve t-shirts, they were so short as were some of my sweaters.  Lengths seem to be longer now and I am glad for that.  I'm wearing a lot more leggings lately, and I need the length.  

Respected Contributor

I think age can contribute to this too, since our bodies can change, even if our weight doesn't. If things "shift" the clothes just don't hang on our bodies the same anymore.