Esteemed Contributor

The french terry pants and crops they show always look like sweat pant material to me.  I'm never going to wear sweatpants.  Are they similar fabrics?  Probably wouldn't order anyway. The last pair of capris I ordered was two sizes too large. I had already ordered down a size (as usual) but even that wasn't enough. I donated them. Sigh.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Hi Skylark - I'm no fabric expert, but in my experience, 'true' french terry is a combination of cotton and polyester.  'True' french terry to me is akin to sweatshirt material.  Smooth on the outside and nubby on the underside that touches your skin.

Denim & Co offers a couple of types of french terry.  The 'true' kind (based on my definition of true above) and 'other' french terry which is a combination of cotton and spandex.  It's been my experience that the 'other' french terry is thinner and more stretchy.  It is also smooth on the outside and not as nubby on the underside that touches your skin.

Then there is terry cloth - think bath towel.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

French terry is the material used in better grade sweats. The cheaper ones are made of fleece (not polar fleece). 

Super Contributor

I agree that the french terry pants look like sweat pants.  I got them as a TSV and would not puchase them again.  The french terry tops are made from a thinner material and I think they look much nicer. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Agree with the french terry definitions.  Just wanted to say that several years ago, Issac made some short spring jackets with gold buttons that were nice enough for work with a tailored blouse.

Super Contributor

Years ago I used to love French terry, and it was very different from sweatshirt material. The interior of it had a nice nap (thread loops), and the exterior was more malleable than sweatshirt material. Nowadays, French terry seems cheaper and resembles sweatshirt material...which I never wear.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @MoJoV:  I'm not technically proficient in fabric types, but I have several D&C "French terry" shorts and capris, and they are a very comfortable, lightweight cotton knit, with just a little bit of stretch.  I admit to wearing sweats, and they are not like that.  The outside is soft and smooth and the inside is a fine nubby loop.  They hold their shape, don't wrinkle, and wash/dry excellently.  Accessorized well, I think they look great and they are certainly very wearable.  Perfect fo summer, and into fall.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Two words   .............  Hate It!!!Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

love the material when it is used as a jacket or hoodie. i bought susan gravers hooded jacket that was in the french terry and i would love to have it in every color! i bought two the day it was the TSV. very comfortable and cute.....perfect with casual wear like capris, crops, pedal pushers, leggings, or jeans.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein