Honored Contributor

Re: Frayed hemlines?

[ Edited ]

Just recently I bought a pair of jeans for a very good price but they were too long and I didn't want to pay someone to hem them. So I just cut them to the right length, no stitching, laundered them and they came out of my dryer looking great. All I had to do is snip off a few long threads hanging from the raw edge. Updated and I love them that way.Woman Happy

It's actually a bit difficult to fray a hem and make it look decent. Unraveling each of the fibers in an organized fashion takes a bit of skill and time. It's not the same as just a raw edge.

ETA-

Forgot to mention that I applied a small line of Liquid Stitch on the inside, just above the raw edge, so that will prevent further fraying. 

Super Contributor

They're a fun trend. I wouldn't invest too much money in a pair since like all trends this too shall pass. If there's a cute pair at what a consider a good price, why not.

Esteemed Contributor

no for me

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Yes, I very much like frayed hemlines when done the way I like it.  Along with a lot of other different types of denim styles.

@Caaareful Shopper I do as well.  I have a few jeans, shorts and jackets with the frayed hemlines and love them.  I think it is a nice fresh look and something different to wear.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's like any fad....here today, out of style tomorrow. 

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

It's like any fad....here today, out of style tomorrow. 

@Effie54 this is true. One could purchase a pair and wear with a few seasons ago cold shoulder tops then next season have top and bottom out of stye.Smiley Wink or the sellers could hawk them as retro.

Respected Contributor

Wore the denim like that in the old days, doing it myself. I liked it because it was naturally frayed from wear, and then you cut it yourself. I wouldnt want to pay for poser denim.

I do not like the boucle jackets with that look either. I feel it cheapens the look. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl   I don't like them.  I made the mistake of purchasing a pair of LOGO unhemmed jeans...what a mess.  I had to turn the hem under and sew down, I constantly had threads hanging.  NEVER AGAIN.

Honored Contributor

I was probably the inventor of frayed hemlines! Back in the 70's I took down the hems of all of my jeans. I'm tall and that was my solution. Sure I wear frayed hems now. Why wouldn't I?

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I like them for a change. I have a friend that is a tailor and she frayed a pair for me. I bought them at a resale shop. Not a lot of money invested and fun way to wear them.