Honored Contributor

Re: Frayed clothing?

[ Edited ]

Frayed and distressed items have been trending for several years. Lots of retailers are selling items like this.

Personally, that's not my style so I don't buy them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't own anything that's frayed but I do like the look and that wouldn't keep me from purchasing an article of clothing.  I don't get the concept that  it's for the younger crowd.  I don't think it looks "youthful" and I've seen all age groups wearing things that are frayed.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I'll ignore a few of the responses to my original post and the people who said I "don't get out much" and/or that I'm "unknowledgeable about fashion," which were pretty rude and unnecessary. The main thing about fashion is that it IS an individual choice, everyone has likes and dislikes, including me! As to the frayed look, I probably should have noted that the "fray" I particularly don't "get" is when it looks like someone just took a pair of scissors and cut off the hem, leaving only a few strings hanging, i.e. a pretty poor and cheap attempt at the frayed look. I wasn't talking about those garments that have a defined fray of 1/2 inch or more. Still not for me, but it does look like someone put more thought into it. 

@chrystaltree wrote:

I won't call you old fashioned. You just from a different Era and unknowledgeable when it comes to fashion.  That distressed look has been around for 50 years.  And much  longer if you go back to Chanel jackets with their their distressed or frayed edges and hems.  There are  no fashion laws.  We all get to wear whatever we want to wear.  That's what makes fashion fun.

Esteemed Contributor
I don't understand this frayed and torn style either. When any of my jeans, jackets, or whatever become frayed, I toss them in the trash. Women could dig thru my trash if they want to be trendy.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
New Contributor
Not a fan of frayed other or jeans that have holes in them, etc.
New Contributor
I meant clothes not other.
Honored Contributor

I have very little.  Hello fad.

Esteemed Contributor

@lizzief wrote:

I'll ignore a few of the responses to my original post and the people who said I "don't get out much" and/or that I'm "unknowledgeable about fashion," which were pretty rude and unnecessary. The main thing about fashion is that it IS an individual choice, everyone has likes and dislikes, including me! As to the frayed look, I probably should have noted that the "fray" I particularly don't "get" is when it looks like someone just took a pair of scissors and cut off the hem, leaving only a few strings hanging, i.e. a pretty poor and cheap attempt at the frayed look. I wasn't talking about those garments that have a defined fray of 1/2 inch or more. Still not for me, but it does look like someone put more thought into it. 

@chrystaltree wrote:

I won't call you old fashioned. You just from a different Era and unknowledgeable when it comes to fashion.  That distressed look has been around for 50 years.  And much  longer if you go back to Chanel jackets with their their distressed or frayed edges and hems.  There are  no fashion laws.  We all get to wear whatever we want to wear.  That's what makes fashion fun.

@lizzief 

The reason why you got that response about "not getting out much" is because you asked if fraying was a thing outside of the Q.  If you were out shopping or even shopping fashion online, you would have seen all of the frayed items that are out there.  So yes, it's a "thing" outside of the Q.  I don't particularly like frayed clothing, but I certainly know that it's very popular right now.  So much so that it's hard to miss.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor
When we were younger we would fray our own cut offs. I was a lot younger then. I am not paying the prices they want for shorts that look like somebody chewed the hem! If I want frayed hems I know how to make them!