Honored Contributor

I watched Cameron of H by Halston present the "forward seam" item last night. Now I notice that Denim and Company is showing an item with "forward seams." They point them out when describing the tops, so I know what and where they are.

My question is: Do you find that it actually makes a difference in the appearance of the top on you? Do you find them flattering?

I would appreciate only hearing from those who have actually purchased and wear the forward seam items, and what those people have to say about it. 

Thanks in advance for any comments from those who have this particular style in your closet. Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Forward Seam on Clothing

[ Edited ]

I think I first started seeing that seaming on LOGO a year or so ago.  Maybe more than  that - because I have two early LOGO tops like that.  Could be as many as four years.

(ETA ..... times moves a bit quicker than I realized.  I just checked ... those LOGO pieces were purchased prior to August 2013 ... so about five years ago.  Just goes to demonstrate LOGO quaiity.  Washed and worn regularly since 2013 and still looking good.)

If done correctly - it's okay with me.  Since those early LOGO pieces, I bought a few others.

The only caveat ... you have to be careful about how the back is cut.  There have been some pieces I've seen on the models where the forward seaming has caused the back to "cup" the rear-end.  

I wish I could remember which QVC vendor had the "bad back" .... just pay attention to the models and be sure to watch how the back fits.

Valued Contributor

I have 2 Halston tops with the forward seam and like them.  Actually just ordered 2 more.  It seems to me to be a very subtle thing that I hardly notice.  I’ve ad no issues with it on the Halston tees.  I find that they hang nicely around me middle.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by forward seams---you mean the princess seaming in the front of a top? I think that makes it fit the bust better. I love the front/back seams on leggings or skinny jeans--so flattering on me. However, I am completely flat in the chest region due to a double mastectomy from cancer--not planning any recon surgery either, so any type of darts or seaming just don't work for me anymore. So hard to figure out what type of top to buy without emphasizing my lack of the "girls"

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I watched Cameron of H by Halston present the "forward seam" item last night. Now I notice that Denim and Company is showing an item with "forward seams." They point them out when describing the tops, so I know what and where they are.

My question is: Do you find that it actually makes a difference in the appearance of the top on you? Do you find them flattering?

I would appreciate only hearing from those who have actually purchased and wear the forward seam items, and what those people have to say about it. 

Thanks in advance for any comments from those who have this particular style in your closet. Heart

I purchased a Denim & Co top with forward seams and I didn't care for it.  Did not look good on me at all.  I would  of returned it but I waited too long.  Also don't like a seam coming right down the middle front of a top. 

Valued Contributor

Side seams that are sewn on an angle to come around toward the front of the garment.  See Halston tees.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a couple in the past, and had to return them.  I love the idea, but the execution of the ones I owned did not look good on me.  I am fuller busted, and narrower in the waist, so forward seams give the illusion that my bust is pulling the top forward, when it isn't.  Add a hi-lo hem along with forward seaming, and the top really looks like it's being lifted in an unattractive way. 

I much prefer the center seam in tops.  That, and a nice soft V-neck (anything linear) are my favorite features.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmmm......from the responses so far, sounds like this may be a good thing, depending upon the designer. I may try one just to see how it performs on me. The Halston last night was very nice. Think it was modal; not sure.

I will definitely check how those side forward seams affect the back of the garment on the modelsl. Good advice!

Thanks for the quick responses! Heart

Honored Contributor

@wagirl The two I am speaking about are A266435 (Denim and Company) and A306231 (H by Halston). They both will give you a good idea of how the forward seam is placed. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The concept of forward seams is not new. Jean and pant manufacturers have been using them for quite a while now. They are suppose to visually make you appear thinner when seen from the front by creating a margin on each side to decrease the width factor. I believe it's flattering to use this design for both tops and bottoms.