Honored Contributor

Re: Form and Line size chart

I don't really care what the size tag says, if I like the garment, and it fits and flatters. I prefer to try things on in person for fit. If I can find garment measurements that helps me order online more successfully. That being said, this brand's size chart definitely made me do a double take. 😳😳

Honored Contributor

I heard the beginning of Form & Line's first show.  They are trying to revolutionize sizing.  They said the new "average" size for women is 18/20.  It's no longer 10/12, which is what I always heard the average size was for at least the past 2 or 3 decades.

So instead of 10/12 being Medium, this brand's Medium is 18/20 size. That's how all their other sizes then fall around that Medium.  

That's their explanation.

Somehow, I don't believe the rest of the fashion industry is going to fall in line with this new sizing.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've seen a couple of articles recently about stores adding more "inclusive" sizing.  

I googled "Universal Standard" to see what the company's story is:

universalstandard dot com / pages / about - us

Universal Standard started with the two of us, but we actually wanted to do it for all of us. We lived in a world in which access was limited. We couldn’t shop together; one of us could hardly shop at all. It felt unfair, but moreover, it made no sense. If 67% of women in the U.S. wear a size 14 or above, why were their options so dismal? It was clear that all women weren’t given the same level of style, quality, or even respect.

There's a lot more to their story .... if you're interested.

@ALRATIBA 

All worthy is a line that is for larger ladies and so is Girls with Curves but their sizing is not that wackadoodle chart like This one.  I think you need a degree in wackadoodle to figure that one out.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Why is the size on the label  so important to people? If you are 40 in the hips why does it matter the size on the label? If the label says 10, 44,  XS or M, the fit is what it is regardless of size.

IMO the good thing is this brand covers more sizes than most brands. I was looking at a SPF shirt on Amazon and the size is small to XXL, only cover 10 inches of bust measurement. Universal Standard accomodates bust measurement from 32 to 75.

Women’s UPF 50+ UV Sun Protection Long Sleeve Performance Slim Fit T-Shirt

@Iwantcoffee 

Why is the gas gauge near the same places on all cars?  There is a reason for familiarity. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well I can see where this would be a big deal for someone who has had trouble finding clothing because of their large size.  But for me, the styles are definitely not anything to write home about.  I don't see where there's enough here to draw in shoppers who can easily find their size everywhere else. 

So they are marketing to larger sizes and it seems like there is definitely a market there.  But it's not me.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Well I can see where this would be a big deal for someone who has had trouble finding clothing because of their large size.  But for me, the styles are definitely not anything to write home about.  I don't see where there's enough here to draw in shoppers who can easily find their size everywhere else. 

So they are marketing to larger sizes and it seems like there is definitely a market there.  But it's not me.

I had weight loss surgery ten years ago, and the happiest day of my life (figuratively speaking) was the day I could purchase cute stuff at Victoria’s Secret. The point being there was very little marketed towards overweight women. Now, there are so many cute clothes available in larger sizes these just ain't it. They remind me of the stuff I used to buy because that was all they had in larger sizes. This stuff is horrible.