Honored Contributor

Re: “For Orchard Outings?” Hahaha - do u go to orchards?

@sidsmom wrote:

I believe another angle is....

many families plan their holiday photo during these opportunities.

Yes, I think that's right.  Also, and I think it was already mentioned. photos of the family enjoying a day on the farm look good on social media.  You know how that goes!  Some women are really into constructing another reality.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Yes, I go to the cherry orchard every year and flounder on fresh picked cherries while sitting on a ladder picking cherries for the bucket.  As far as my clothing goes, jeans and tee or light flannel shirt...not exactly designer fare.  

@phoenixbrd  I am not mocking or making fun of you, phoenixbrd but your possible typo (?) gave me a very good and needed laugh today.  I got a mental image of floundering on cherries, because I eat so many of them every year.  I just stuff myself.  [And having a horse that we were afraid did "founder" itself when he broke into the barn and stuffed himself on sweet feed one time, I know that can be a very bad thing too (horse was OK but required a vet visit!). ]

I floundered on cake this weekend, because my resolve to not eat but one slice floundered and failed!  I will keep that image and the word and think fondly of you!  Maybe it will help me stay away of stuff I shouldn't eat in mass quantities!  LOL!!!  Or maybe I'd just never used "floundered" that way but it is so descriptive it is perfect!  Anyway, I learned something! 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Saw that featured on the home page too @Goldengate8361 and laughed out loud. We go to one farm market and it certainly doesn't warrant a new wardrobe. I think my neighbor wears the same sweatshirt each year (it has a scarecrow on it) and I wear a ten year old QF big shirt with apples on it. 

So in other words, you each wear something "appropriate" for the season or for where you're going? Yours may be older, but that's exactly what QVC is trying to sell.

Esteemed Contributor

Going to some of the large orchards is a big deal and fun event here in my area of the Midwest. In the spring, it's strawberries; summer is peaches; fall is apples and pumpkins. The orchards set up special events, especially before Halloween. It's a fun thing to do for most age groups, and a lot of families have the dates of the events marked on their calendars months in advance. As for special clothes....that's a new one, although I imagine the Q is just showing some casual fall clothes.

Honored Contributor

It's a better reason for buying new clothes than say, going to the opera. . . at least for a lot of us. Most here don't need a reason do they?  So why not!

Respected Contributor

I have never been in an apple orchard. When my sons were in Cub Scouts 20-some years ago, though, we did visit a pumpkin patch. I probably did not wear anything stylish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Yes, I go to the cherry orchard every year and flounder on fresh picked cherries while sitting on a ladder picking cherries for the bucket.  As far as my clothing goes, jeans and tee or light flannel shirt...not exactly designer fare.  

@phoenixbrd

Tell me the dress code and I'm there! LOL I love cherries! But I think Michigan and other points North, not Arizona?

I did apple picking once as a teenager. Geesh there's so many varieties! We took the majority to a cannery and had apple butter and applesauce and apple juice for forever!

@Goldengate8361

Another point of Interest. Pumpkins grow on vines close to the ground, although I've never heard it referred to as a vineyard, and not in orchards

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo

in our area we refer to them as pumpkin farms or pumpkin patches......occasionally orchards.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Too right @Sooner I never need a reason to buy new clothes..One excuse is as good as another for me

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I believe another angle is....

many families plan their holiday photo during these opportunities.

Why wouldn’t I like to look my best in the perfect outfit

suited for the occasion?

Because pumpkins grow in muddy fields from vines on the ground, and to pick apples you have tp climb on old dirty ladders , also out in wet, often muddy fields.Then you have to carry back whatever you harvested on a hayride.You aren't going to be clean when you finish this.If that is what you want as a photo - fine.