Honored Contributor

Re: Flattering shades of Red?

@ECBG. I knew we could count on you!!!!

Shanus

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  The kuler app Justine suggested for iPhone is not available.  Do you know of another IOS color capture skin tone app?!  

Honored Contributor

Another factor to consider is intensity.  Many color experts like David Zyla believe that there is a "version" of red that everyone can wear.  Some like me, with very gentle, non-high-contrast coloring can wear a soft "red", that might be pink or rose.  But it produces the same effect as true "red" does on those with more vivid coloring.

I'm so pale my cool-toned skin is sort of see-through.  My natural hair color is light, light brown, and my eyes are coolish blue gray with a "muddy" rather than clear or bright quality.  Lipstick reds don't look good on me, but a dusty rose seems to be pretty enhancing....

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG. I knew we could count on you!!!!

Shanus

@Shanus,Thank you.  Unfortunately, it's still not that simple.  Lights come up on the face that only happens with drapeing.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

@ECBG  The kuler app Justine suggested for iPhone is not available.  Do you know of another IOS color capture skin tone app?!  

@Dawnie,Sorry, I don't.  I would suggest ordering "Color Me Beautiful" 1987 from Amazon.  It will take you step by step and importantly, a color mchart with all the colors for each season.

You see what is yours, and what's not!

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all the great responses.  I have this top, in red, in my wish list.  I would normally go for black, but I have so much black and for whatever reason, I'm drawn to this red.  What do you think....about the shade of red?  I know lots of people don't like the cold shoulder, but Kim Gravel does it so that it's not too much and very flattering.

http://www.qvc.com/Belle-by-Kim-Gravel-Sassy-Sequin-Cold-Shoulder-Tunic.product.A291217.html

Honored Contributor

For me yellow is not a good color & so yellow greens like olive and yellow reds are a no no.I always loved the apple red QVC's denim & co line had for years & years, & I have a few pieces in that shade.I tend to prefer cranberry reds to burgundy over real tomato reds.

Honored Contributor

Red makes me hyper, although we do have red cars.  I don't have to look at those when I'm driving.  No red in the house, no red in the wardrobe. I once bought a red leather coat, worst purchase of my life.  I couldn't even wear my Clark's red sandals I bought ten years ago.  Go figure. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

For me yellow is not a good color & so yellow greens like olive and yellow reds are a no no.I always loved the apple red QVC's denim & co line had for years & years, & I have a few pieces in that shade.I tend to prefer cranberry reds to burgundy over real tomato reds.

@151949  I can't wear olives, sages or golden yellows either.  I used to look good in orange, but I saw a picture of me wearing and orange top recently and it looked horrible on me.  Blues and black are most flattering on me.

Honored Contributor

@Trudey That claret red top is the perfect red if you have blue undertones to your skin.  It really is cute!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G