Valued Contributor

Re: Flattering shades of Red?

@Trudey wrote:

Thank you for all the great responses.  I have this top, in red, in my wish list.  I would normally go for black, but I have so much black and for whatever reason, I'm drawn to this red.  What do you think....about the shade of red?  I know lots of people don't like the cold shoulder, but Kim Gravel does it so that it's not too much and very flattering.

http://www.qvc.com/Belle-by-Kim-Gravel-Sassy-Sequin-Cold-Shoulder-Tunic.product.A291217.html

I also agree the claret red from QVC is a blue based (cool) red and therefore, you would look great in this color.  Go for it!

Honored Contributor

@Trudey I think that claret red top is a beautiful shade of red. Pretty top too.

I love red, don't wear it often enough. I think it's such a happy color. Something about it feels powerful, thus the phrase power red.🌷🍒🍓👠

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Dawnie,Sorry, I don't.  I would suggest ordering "Color Me Beautiful" 1987 from Amazon.  It will take you step by step and importantly, a color mchart with all the colors for each season.

You see what is yours, and what's not!

I remember when Color Me Beautiful parties were popular.  I also remember going to different parties and having consultants categorize my season differently.

Most of us know what we like and what we think looks best on us.  At this point in my life, I could not care less whether or not I'm wearing colors others think flattering to me.

Respected Contributor

I like red and have a few outfits in various shades. If burgundy/wine is red, that would make more. Here are a couple of outfits I wore on Pentecost Sundays when wearing red to church is somewhat of a tradition.

My face is "blocked" when I was having a melanoma removed.

LorraineRed1.jpg

RedLthrSkrt.jpg

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady  You look beautiful.

Respected Contributor

Why do I keep getting "poofed" and pic's dissapearing? Again, tomato red jacket pic I found, wanted to show you you never know with red's.0625151441a-2-2-3.jpg 

Respected Contributor

I'm a summer and I should be able to wear blue reds - but not always. Here's what I've discovered.

*Intensity matters. Some blue reds will be too dark for my light coloring. 

*Showing some skin helps when wearing colors that aren't a perfect match for your own coloring. A scoop neckline or a v neckline, not having the color right up against the face, helps. A glittery necklace also can lighten the look.

*Watermelon seems to flatter most everyone. 

*Rose is a good option if red is too intense.

I also think that online colors can be deceptive. If you see a top or dress you really love, I think it's worth a try.

Respected Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

Thank you for all the great responses.  I have this top, in red, in my wish list.  I would normally go for black, but I have so much black and for whatever reason, I'm drawn to this red.  What do you think....about the shade of red?  I know lots of people don't like the cold shoulder, but Kim Gravel does it so that it's not too much and very flattering.

http://www.qvc.com/Belle-by-Kim-Gravel-Sassy-Sequin-Cold-Shoulder-Tunic.product.A291217.html

I just received the top mentioned above in claret red.  I can't tell you how much I love it.  It may be the only thing red in my closet, but it is a standout.  For those who recommended the blue based reds, you were absolutely right.  Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

I am a natural redhead and wear all shades/hues of red Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Trudey Glad you like the top, it looks like such a beautiful color.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"