Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: First Closet Purge of 2016

Last October I had 2 days where everyone was out of the house on a trip to see relatives 8 hours away.. I had to stay home since pet was sick.  I did a huge and i mean huge purge.. i was brutal.. if i didnt like it or it didnt fit, no matter how muchh

I paid for it , it went.. I gave away over 40 pairs of pants.  Tons of shoes boots, anything not comfortable .

In a few weeks i'm going to do it again, since my winter clothes are out now.  Of course I have replenished items with new things , but at least there is room.

Contributor

My purge has been ongoing since the last 2 weeks in December 2015.  I like to shop, and shoppers must purge so we don't become hoarders. Plus I've lost 40 lbs over the last few years.  I've taken several bags to Goodwill also, and credit is given to a local women's shelter.  Check to see if there's a similar program at your local Goodwill.  I also have been selling some items on ebay.

Honored Contributor

Adding to my mini-start the other day, I have now pulled jacket #6 out for donation, along with my last remaining pair of kacki pants (haven't worn in years) and a new w/tags pair of walking shorts and matching tank. I need to go through, trying on everything, as I have lost down about 3 sizes (depending on the garment sizing), and either donate a bunch more, or take some in for alterations as right now I have doubts about the majority fitting properly.
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

Yes I did my first closet purge of the year.   I dropped off 5 bags of clothing, shoes and handbags to Goodwill.  

Respected Contributor

I've been decluttering for a long time.  Last year I moved out of my home into an RV with DH.  We've been in 2 different locations, and back home for a couple months, but this two "homes" business has taught me to REALLY only keep things that I love or use. 

I'm pretty good at only having things in the rv that I use/love, but when I go home for the weekend I always see more things I can live without.  This last weekend it was photos - getting rid of all the ugly old photo frames and get the photos in an album. 

I am also usually amazed at all the clothes I don't wear and don't miss.  I always have a donation pile.

Honored Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

Last October I had 2 days where everyone was out of the house on a trip to see relatives 8 hours away.. I had to stay home since pet was sick.  I did a huge and i mean huge purge.. i was brutal.. if i didnt like it or it didnt fit, no matter how muchh

I paid for it , it went.. I gave away over 40 pairs of pants.  Tons of shoes boots, anything not comfortable .

In a few weeks i'm going to do it again, since my winter clothes are out now.  Of course I have replenished items with new things , but at least there is room.

Sounds like a huge purge! Hope you pet is ok. 

Honored Contributor

Just back from dropping off 3 bags of clothing for donation. More to come, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I've pulled out about 20 pair of pants to donate.  I've also gone through my purses and have about five to either donate or sell on Ebay.  Next I've got to go through my shirts.  My closet is very crowded with things that I never wear.  I can't seem to get motivated to finish though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I've pulled out about 20 pair of pants to donate.  I've also gone through my purses and have about five to either donate or sell on Ebay.  Next I've got to go through my shirts.  My closet is very crowded with things that I never wear.  I can't seem to get motivated to finish though.

I don't think any of us who love to shop for fashion ever truly finish purging our closets. It is a continual process. I said I was finished when I started this thread, but I always have a bag in my basement, and I have put a few things in there since my original post. 

Valued Contributor

I have been working on purging all kinds of things this month.  January is usually a good month for me to work on cupboards and things.  I usually do my closet  about March or April and then again in the fall and in between.  

I did a major purge a few years back and keep at it.  Less is best for me and I like it organized.  So much easier to use things, wear things and find things.  

My daughter enjoys my purges 😊