Valued Contributor

Finally figured out what I need in jeans.........

I need jeans with a little stretch in the waist but no where else. Most now days are stretch all over. I need jeans that hold my stomach in a little not stretch in that area. Anyone know of a brand like that?

Respected Contributor

Re: Finally figured out what I need in jeans.........

I do not know of a brand with only stretch at the waist, but I only buy jeans with 1% elastase. This way you have a little stretch, but the overall look is of a cotton jean.

Esteemed Contributor

Try Levis.  I found that they don't use a lot of spandex in their jeans.  I like only 2% soandex.

Honored Contributor

I know posters here don't like altering their clothes, I don't know why but sometimes you have to to get a perfect fit.  If you just need a little extra room in the waist, take them to the tailor at your dry cleaner's and they can adjust the waist in such a way that you cannot even tell they have done it.  I've lost considerable amounts of weight over the past 20 years, I've gained some back and lost again.  Through it all, I like my clothes to fit well so I often get things tailored.  

Respected Contributor

@Nadine  I like my jeans to be at my natural waistline, not "hip huggers."  I wear Gloria Vanderbilt Heritage Fit jeans.  They call the waistline Classic Rise.  I have a little boy's, i.e. "flat" no "lady shape" derriere.  Usually can only find size 6.  When I can find size 4's I scoop them up in as many colors as I can find.  They just have a little forgiveness in them so on me they don't bag or sag.  

Usually manage to pick them up on sale.  Macy's, Sears,  and Belk carry this brand.  Macy's used to have Charter Club brand of jeans that was a good fit, too, with just a slight "give" to it too.  I had a pair of those in gray that I always had comliments on but they got stained with a tarry substance during an outing that I could never remove so I had to toss them. 

I also like high waisted--above the natural waistline--slacks with the skinny belt loops but haven't seen those in a long time.  One retro trend that I wish would come back in vogue. 

Valued Contributor

Interesting info on GV jeans. I have four pair that only have a little give in the waite. I love them! I've had them for a few ywars and I can't find the style anymore. They're a light wash denim and I've worn them so much I'm afraid someday they'll just disenagrate, lol  I'll check out the Heritage.

Thanks for the replies!

Honored Contributor

When I was doing alterations for my customers, some of them would ask me to put in elastic inserts in the waist bands of  non-stretch pants and jeans. This was years ago, before spandex was invented. Here's a similar alteration that I did to their jeans. This one's a little exaggerated, but you get the point.

download (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was doing alterations for my customers, some of them would ask me to put in elastic inserts in the waist bands of  non-stretch pants and jeans. This was years ago, before spandex was invented. Here's a similar alteration that I did to their jeans. This one's a little exaggerated, but you get the point.

download (2).jpg

@SilleeMee@Nadine

I think your idea sounds like a good business! Cotton jeans, 100%, but with an elastic waistband! I'm sure there are many others that would buy something like that

Honored Contributor

aroc:  Same here.

Love high-waisted jeans, pants.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If you tuck in your shirts then I think it would be better get pants that fit in the waist and have the hips and thighs taken in. That elastic is going to show. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval