Contributor

I rarely post but I have seen a couple of theads lately regarding dressing for one's age amd what is appropriate.

I lost 45 pounds when I turned 60 after struggling with weight issues my whole life I finally became determined enough to stick to a diet plan. I managed to keep the weight off and I am now 70 years old.

My clothing choices were more limited when I weighed 190 pounds and I wasn't as interested in fashion because I didn't like the way I looked in clothes.

When I went down to 145 at age 60 I really started dressing the way I wantedand I continue to do so today. I look great in leggings and skinny jeans and I wear them.

I don't care that I am 70. I look good and I feel good.

I won't let anyone take that away from me by judging what is appropriate. It is more approprate for me to wear certain items now than it was for me to wear them at 190 pounds. I feel good about myself and that is what counts.

We women take pride in ourselves to a point of knowing how we feel when we get dressed and whether we are comfortable in our own skin. If we feel that we look good then we probably do look good. We shouldn't have to question whether other people are okay with what we are wearing but whether we are okay with what we are wearing. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Feeling good about oneself

You GO GIRL!  We are not our mothers and don't look or act like our mothers did.  I have more energy than most of my younger friends.  I too, at 64, dress the way I feel - I too like leggings and leather jackets and look good in my clothes - I really could give a rat's a-- how others feel about how I look.  It only matters on how I feel.  Congrats on your weight loss and keeping it off! 

Honored Contributor

@qtpie60 wrote:

I rarely post but I have seen a couple of theads lately regarding dressing for one's age amd what is appropriate.

I lost 45 pounds when I turned 60 after struggling with weight issues my whole life I finally became determined enough to stick to a diet plan. I managed to keep the weight off and I am now 70 years old.

My clothing choices were more limited when I weighed 190 pounds and I wasn't as interested in fashion because I didn't like the way I looked in clothes.

When I went down to 145 at age 60 I really started dressing the way I wantedand I continue to do so today. I look great in leggings and skinny jeans and I wear them.

I don't care that I am 70. I look good and I feel good.

I won't let anyone take that away from me by judging what is appropriate. It is more approprate for me to wear certain items now than it was for me to wear them at 190 pounds. I feel good about myself and that is what counts.

We women take pride in ourselves to a point of knowing how we feel when we get dressed and whether we are comfortable in our own skin. If we feel that we look good then we probably do look good. We shouldn't have to question whether other people are okay with what we are wearing but whether we are okay with what we are wearing. 

@qtpie60, Good for you! There will  always be people who's greatest joy seems to be trying to control the choices of others. Don't give them another thought !!👏👏👏

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I do agree with you ladies but we do have to admit that there are many ladies of all ages who must not look in a mirror before they leave their home.   I don't understand any age who think they look great when they wear clothes that are obviously several sizes to small.  People laugh when they see photos of, usually women, posted on line whose "rolling skin" is hanging outside their clothes.  Money is a problem for many but not an excuse.  Many of us donate clothes we no longer need.  There are many thrift shops.  Many churches have free clothing for those in need.   My mother volunteerd at our church.  She worked in our food pantry and with the clothing.  People called to make arrangements to come during quieter times so they could shop privately because they were embarrassed that they were having hard times.  If you have money to buy a size 10 then you can use this same money to buy a size 14 that you will look terrific in.  Size is a number only you need to know.  Because of health issues and required meds I have gained weight and have mobility issues because of a car accident.  Like many others I have had to learn to accept my new body as it is and will be.  I now wear a XL but still what to look good for 72.  I wear leather jackets but they now cover my waist.  I now wear slim leg jeans (great for tucking in my high boots) and boot cut jeans.  I seldom wear dresses unless the occasion calls for it.  I do not dress like my mother or her mother did at 72.  If some looks good in skinnies go for it.  If you stretch the seams and overflow out of your garments you might want to take a second look in the mirror.   If it fits well and I like what I see in the mirror I will wear it.  More power to us all at all ages.

Honored Contributor

@gellergirl
I adore you but you're missing the point. It is not for you, or anyone else, to decide what's appropriate for someone else. Spend your time more productively; not judging what somebody else is wearing. You be your best you and let her do the same
Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo.  I didn't miss the point.  I was just expressing my thoughts of what I see in my town and when traveling on other states.   I grew up when clothes were really not made for all sizes.  I was slender and was taught to sew my own clothes or to alter them.  For years a plus size lady had no choices.   Now if we look there are stores for all sizes large and small.  Now being a plus size myself I watch.  I see so many larger women who are great dressers and they carry their weight proudly.  We are who we are and do not always have control.  I get upset when I hear that if you are overweight you must eat to much.  To small or to large is not always within a person's control.  How you present the body you have is.  Young ladies in the dressing rooms can be very critical and shaming of others, including someone in their group.  I have listened and seen the hurt on the face of a young girl who did not purchase because of her. "friends" comments.   No matter how much it is discussed bullying is in the daily life of our young people.  When someone wears a garment that is many sizes to small it opens the doors for this to happen.  I feel adults can take responsibility for what they say, do and wear.   Grown women need to be aware of what is happening in the lives of our young women as they grow into bodies they don't understand.  The world today and the web has greatly changed the lives of our youngsters and how they perceive themselves.   Young people need constructive guidance.  If you treasure our children we can not sit back and say let her be herself.  The words alone are true but working within her wishes to help her gain her desired results is more productive IMO.   I have helped 2 young ladies who lived with me for a few years each to find there way.  They were years apart in different times.  A very gentle loving 15 year old who dressed punk before it ever hit our area received so much attention.  She was easily hurt because others her age were amazed at her "freedom", daring and she was genuinely beautiful inside and out.  She got the wrong kind of attention from the boys and girls did not like it if their fella looked at her.  Kids can be your best friend to your face and cutting behind your back.  Adults can be the same.  You can be a friend, give suggestions by showing styles she says she wants in her size and let her judge what she sees in the mirror.  No matter what we say the world, especially at work, judges us everyday by our appearance.  Appearance can and does hold us back in the world we have today.

Honored Contributor

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/happy-birthday-quotes/

Honored Contributor

@gellergirl
" but you have to admit there are ladies of all ages that didn't look in the mirror before they left the house"
As women we have enough going on in our lives without other women knocking us down and belittling our choices. Have you ever heard a man say "OMG what was he thinking?!" It's not an admirable trait that as women we sit around talking about other women in such negative ways. If someone asks for your help or suggestions by all means give it to them but offering it unsolicited to strangers, under your breath, is just mean

Honored Contributor

"If you look good, you feel good..." (Neon) Deion Sanders

I've always believed that.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I think most of the criticisms are more about the styles and different body types as opposed to age appropriate...