Honored Contributor

Re: Fearless Margaret Brennan

@Trinity11 wrote:

I always promised myself that someday, when I became an older woman, I would not criticize younger, beautiful women. Women who were in their prime and wore short skirts and envied by many. Thankfully, I am keeping that promise.

I think she looks fantastic. She has the figure for that dress and why not....💕🌺👗👠

That's a great attitude

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in my mid 20s, I worked in Washington as PR person for a politician.  It was in the late 60s.  I wore a mini skirt, coat dress, to work one day.  Around noon, the boss called me in.  He was very gentle, explaining that others had complained to him, although it did not bother him because he knew of my longstanding character and that he knew I was just being fashionable.  However, some staff and peers had talked about my dress being so short.  He jokingly said "their PR ladies are old and don't have great legs like you," and dismissed it that way, but at the end of the conversation he asked "would your mother approve of you wearing a dress that short in an office?"  I admitted she would not.  I never did that again, either to work or out in the public because I knew I represented his office and the character of Washington at that time.  Having said all that, in the early 70s I left that kind of work and returned to school where my profession required even more conservative dress.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday , I agree with your point. Margaret can pull off that look, and it would be fine in a social setting. But it was awkward and I would dare say, wrong, for a serious, formal, professional setting!  I was surprised the producer or other folks didn't intervene... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I'm laughing reading your post as I had something similar happen to me at my first job.

I was working at the Missouri Athletic Club in 1970 and, back then, it was ALL men.  I had to go up a long flight of stairs from the main lobby every morning to reach my office.

My boss called me in one day and said that some of the "older" men were commenting on the view as I ascended the steps and he had overheard them.  While he didn't demand I wear longer skirts/dresses, it was implied it might be a good idea to stop the chatter Cat LOL

So funny thinking of that now...those old geezers looking out over the tops of the newspapers to watch me go up the steps.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday ...........Hey, I agree with you things have been awful for a VERY long time!

You don't have to pile on me like that.  geesh!

You're preaching to the choir here. Cat Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@kindred cats wrote:

@SilleeMee   The model looks far better in that dress because it fits her properly.

Too small on the reporter as you also stated. Cat Indifferent

Guess the recession is coming with all the short hemlines!

@kindred cats @SilleeMee

Guess the recession is coming?  Have you been to the grocery store lately or bought gasoline, received your utilities bill?  The Recession is way into us and a Depression is headed our way. Don't believe what the political newsies tell you.  We have been in a recession for more than a year.  We are headed to a Depression when grocery shelves stock more Christmas trinkets than food.

@Nonametoday Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/are-we-in-a-recession/

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

One day I told my young female physician and the nurse to enjoy your body and your s*xuality because you won't have either for ever. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I think if a news person wants to be taken seriously, they should take the selections that they make in their wardrobe more seriously!  I couldn't care less what they wear in their personal life, but that dress was a terrible choice.  She looked ridiculous!  It was far too short for her for one thing.  

@AngelPuppy1 

Don't assume they all have carte blanche to wear whatever they want.  They may have a stylist that brings in a rack of "options" and they have only those to pick from.   

Also, many have clothing allowances, but they can only buy the "right" dresses TPTB want them to be seen in.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
She is great at her job and is very articulate and intelligent.

There's one news channel where all the women seem to show lots of leg and or other body areas, posters here don't seem to ever complain about that 🤷

@Greeneyedlady21 

LOL ....  I was thinking the same thing.  Women are often just "decorative" there.

Respected Contributor

Margaret Brennan is a Foreign Affairs Correspondent for CBS News and joined its Washington bureau in 2012. She also moderates the network's Sunday morning show Face The Nation.

Brennan's reporting has taken her around the world from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and points beyond while reporting on national security and foreign policy. Brennan was also part of the CBS News team honored with a 2012-2013 Alfred I. DuPont-Columbia Award for coverage of the Newtown tragedy.

While covering the State Department, Brennan has reported extensively on the nuclear negotiations with Iran, efforts to confront ISIS, the diplomatic breakthrough to restore relations with Cuba, the conflict in Ukraine, and the accord to transfer control of Syria's chemical weapons. She was among the first reporters to interview both Secretary of State John Kerry and Iran's Foreign Minister following the landmark agreement to freeze the Iranian nuclear program.

She has traveled with and reported on Secretary of State John Kerry and Hillary Clinton as well as Defense Secretaries Carter and Hagel.

Brennan conducted the first American television interview with South Korean President Park Geun-hye following the 2013 uptick in North Korea's nuclear testing.

Prior to joining CBS News, Brennan spent a decade covering the global financial markets. She anchored a weekday Bloomberg Television show called "InBusiness with Margaret Brennan."

Previously, Brennan was a correspondent at CNBC with a focus on the consumer during the financial crisis. She also contributed to various NBC News programs.

Brennan is a term member at the Council on Foreign Relations and sits on the Advisory Board for the University of Virginia School of Politics.

A Connecticut native, Brennan graduated with highest distinction from the University of Virginia, where she earned a Bachelor's degree in Foreign Affairs and Middle East Studies with a minor in Arabic. As a Fulbright-Hays Scholar, she studied Arabic at Yarmouk University in Irbid, Jordan. She is also the recipient of an honorary doctor of letters degree from Niagara University.

Face the Nation 2021-11-07-1030.png

Face the Nation 2021-11-07-1030 (11).png