Respected Contributor
Oh my gosh! I watched the Deadly Mantis too. It was a hoot. I agree about the 50's styles, so different from now. I had forgotten about Petty Pants! We were not allowed to wear jeans or pants to school either....I guess that is why we went so wild in the late 60's and 70's. I remember when I started work at a hospital in the early 70's and the medical records admin worn one of the tightest girdles I ever saw in my life..and she was bone thin, but she was older than me (I saw the start of panty hose) and always wore stockings and her girdle to work. I do miss dressing up more, things are so casual now. Since I work part time and don't have to dress like I did in my corporate world, I do not complain. But I swear I saw a woman go into the library in pj or lounge pants (hard to tell which) and she looked so sloppy. The women in the 50's look so elegant........I still have a crocheted peter pan collar my aunt made for me. Do not wear it now, but it sure was a big deal when I was young.
If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor
On 5/19/2014 ROMARY said:

I've been wishing and hoping for a return of 'petti-pants'. They would be comfortable.

Thanks ROMARY, I didn't think "petty" looked right....LOL eta....I may just have to make some ! Our Grandmothers may be rolling in their graves, if they were to see how sloppy we Americans have gotten in our attire ):
Respected Contributor
Wow ROMARY you are right, it is petti-pants. I had even forgotten how to spell it. I just had to have some, as did everyone I knew at school.
If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Contributor
On 5/19/2014 wilma said:
On 5/19/2014 Nighthawks said: Grace Kelly's clothes in Rear Window (1954) are to die for.
I so agree. I also loved her clothes in "To Catch a Thief".

God, Grace Kelly's ability to carry an outfit, formal or casual, was amazing!

My favorites are also Ingrid Bergman's outfits in Casablanca. All of them were wonderful but especially the outfit she wore that first night at Rick's. And the brooch was gorgeous! I'd always hoped Nolan Miller would make a copy of it. I wish hats (not the ridiculous one's worn to Ascot or the Kentucky Derby these days) and jewelry from that era were still in fashion...

Occasional Contributor
ROMARY, pettipants in nylon or cotton are available at vermontcountrystore.com. You will like them!
Respected Contributor
On 5/19/2014 Emmaline said: ROMARY, pettipants in nylon or cotton are available at vermontcountrystore.com. You will like them!
Oh , that's right ! I forgot about The Vermont country store, love their long nighties and really nostalgic items .....fun to go through their catalog (:
Super Contributor
I buy my white cotton vintage style slips from Vermont Country Store. Wear them for slips, yard work and around the house. Was so worried about them being discontinued that I called the president of Velrose and he promised they would always make them, ha, ha. I have 20 in a drawer, just in case. I love 50's stuff too. I wear stilettos, straight skirts, wear the hats and carry vintage bags. Not every day because I'm lazy, ha, ha, but for dress up occasions.
Honored Contributor

I graduated from a state college in Pa., in the 60's, the same one JRT attended. We weren't allowed to wear pants on campus even in the snow in the winter. Coming and going from a car were the only exceptions.

On my first job, we also were not allowed to wear pants until sometime in the mid-70's, and it had to be a matching pantsuit. I remember the first time I wore pants...I felt guilty and was sure everyone was staring at me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

For me it didn't matter what era it was, although mine was late 60's/early 70's. My favorite thing to wear for years was a black pullover with jeans or skirt, a french beret (long hair) and pearl stud earrings. I would die before I'd wear a girdle.

Valued Contributor

So many of you like the fashions of the 50's. If you were there, and had to wear them, it was one bunch of really uncomfortable clothing and shoes that hurt all the time. I suffered through that era. Watch 'Rebel Without A Cause'...I wore clothes exactly like Natalie Wood is wearing. Nothing stretched, fabric was restrictive. At school, girls absolutely had to wear skirts. No options. Out of school, I had horses so did wear jeans, boots, etc. but even those were tight until broken in. I don't remember wearing anything that felt good except for 2 year old jeans and then my mother threw them away. God Bless the fabrics we have now and the fabrics to come!!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}