Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion these days......Casual Clothing

I also watched the AnyBody show this morning. Althought the clothes were certainly casual, I didn't think they looked sloppy. I didn't buy anything but  I think they would be comfortable to wear at home, I wouldn't wear them out though.

Occasional Contributor

Oh, honey, I am so with you.  Probably in the minority, but I hate to dress up.  Recently retired, and having some what to wear questions, but never want  to go back to the old fashioned "rules".

Respected Contributor

Growing up, my mother expected my brother and me to be "dressed up" all the time.  I never wore jeans or heaven forbid, a sweatshirt.  While working, I always dressed very professionally and had to attend many events during the year that required dressier attire...I hated it.  Now that I'm retired, I only get dressed up if I absolutely have to.  Some days I wear a tshirt and crop pants, other days I wear jeans and a pretty top.  I feel comfortable now.  I never wear anything that I couldn't leave the house in or greet guests in.  I do my hair and makeup everyday, even with no plans to leave the house.  For the first time ever, I'm comfortable in my own skin and I wear what I want.

Respected Contributor

I think there is a big difference in being casual or just plain sloppy looking.

Also, it seems a lot of people seem to confuse the difference and need to go back home and change. Relaxed and casual is one thing, sloppy should be saved for your home or yard where no one really cares what you look like.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

My extended family has also evolved to very casual dressing on holidays (unless it is a wedding or another very special occasion). I too love to be comfortable.  But in the last couple of years, I've been picking up my game for the holidays but doing so in clothes that feel good. And because most of my family is in jeans, my comfortable sheath dress looks dressy by comparison. I enjoy looking a bit more festive and it doesn't bother me if I am the only one who does it.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I also watched the AnyBody show this morning. Althought the clothes were certainly casual, I didn't think they looked sloppy. I didn't buy anything but  I think they would be comfortable to wear at home, I wouldn't wear them out though.

-----------

@RetRN I have two I wear to work.  One says "Smile" and the other says "Count your blessings".  They are not as casual as what some of the girls wear to work.  In fact, I might wear one of my AnyBody top on a fall trip on Sept 12.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wear what you want, that's what I do. I live in an area where everyone is constantly in sweat pants and sneakers. I'm doing my own thing. 

I was raised with casual clothes, the only time I "dressed up" was if grandma was taking me to church or it was a holiday at the grandparents or we were taking professional photos. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I prefer comfortable/casual clothing.  I have never understood why we used to get all dressed up for the holidays to go to someone's house.  Mind you, I don't consider athleisure clothing to be holiday clothing, but I love casual chic clothing.  I think it always looks appropriate if you do it right.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

-----------

@RetRN I have two I wear to work.  One says "Smile" and the other says "Count your blessings".  They are not as casual as what some of the girls wear to work.  In fact, I might wear one of my AnyBody top on a fall trip on Sept 12.

@AuntG, I am going to order two to wear to my exercise class. Wearing one on your fall trip sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the post.

Honored Contributor

I like to dress up, but not so much that it looks like I am going to a formal event. I understand that much of life has become casual, but I just would not "feel right" wearing super casual clothing to work or church. I think that is the heart of the issue - Hopefully, each of us can wear what feels right to us. 

Also, my dressier clothes are comfortable - dressy does not have to be uncomfortable.  I wear nicely tailored pants, tops, skirts, and/or dresses for church and events. I also dressed that way for work. (I am recently retired for health reasons.)

My casual wardrobe is shorts with t-shirts or jeans with t-shirts & hoodies. I can dress up a dark indigo jean with a nicer top or sweater. I also own a few pairs of sweatpants, but I only wear those in the house.