Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion these days......Casual Clothing

Unlike the OP I don't recall enjoying 'dressing up' for holidays and occasions..Why? Because it was never my choice what I wore! Unlike now where we shop for hobby on a regular basis, back then it was once a year to replace what you'd outgrown! And any fancy or dressy was my mom's choice; not mine!

I did not do the same thing to my daughter. She had plenty of say in her wardrobe pretty early on so she's a clothes horse from practically the womb! lol

Nowadays I mind it none being the only one dressed up or the one in a fabulous print shealth while everyone else is in black! (if you hadn't already guessed Woman Wink)

Trusted Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This isn't a judgement, just an observation. I worked in a hospital, and I noticed that older people were always dressed nicely, men and women. There are many reasons, but those smartly dressed older couples always made me smile.  Times and fashions change, but I think sometimes it is worth it to dress up a little, it feels good.

I worked in a hospital clinic and you wouldn't believe (well, maybe you would) what some younger people wear to  a doctor's appointment. the older patients, as you said, usually dressed decently but a lot of younger adults came to clinic in pajama pants and Scooby-doo slippers. I realize I'm of the "older generation" and I know attitudes are different, but I always make an attempt to dress appropriately whenever I leave the house.

I remember how shocked I was a few years ago when I saw for the first time someone wearing pajama bottoms and slippers in public.  I think the "casual" thing has gone a little too far.  To me it's code for sloppy.  I heard a vendor on the Q recently say she lives in -- I won't say what casual line it is sold on the Q -- and Rykas.  Oh, my.  

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Unlike the OP I don't recall enjoying 'dressing up' for holidays and occasions..Why? Because it was never my choice what I wore! Unlike now where we shop for hobby on a regular basis, back then it was once a year to replace what you'd outgrown! And any fancy or dressy was my mom's choice; not mine!

I did not do the same thing to my daughter. She had plenty of say in her wardrobe pretty early on so she's a clothes horse from practically the womb! lol

Nowadays I mind it none being the only one dressed up or the one in a fabulous print shealth while everyone else is in black! (if you hadn't already guessed Woman Wink)

@Andreatoo  I hear you.......You go girl!  The more they wear black and grey, the better you and I will look!  Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

Totally relate to what the OP is saying.  Everyone tends to wear jeans everywhere. Sure you can dress as you please, but personally I don't like to feel overdressed in a room.

Honored Contributor

I've always loved dressing up.  I've been told when I go grocery shopping, I look like I'm going to a wedding. (I think that's stretching it a bit)

Personally I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.  We live in a more casual world but sometimes I see people dressed liked they just finished yard work when the venue calls for a coat and tie for him and at the very least, a nice pair of pants and top for her.

Our Grands still have "church" clothes and special holiday outfits.

Honored Contributor

My family has always dressed up for many occasions-birthdays, out to eat, church, and my children are still that way.

I like to dress up but I also like to be comfortable most of the time.

I find things that are "casual" and pretty and comfortable.

I don't think comfortable or casual has to mean drab or sloppy. There are many pretty colors and prints in comfortable breathable fabrics.

I like jeans but I don't think they are all that comfortable.Someone said confining and I agree, but I will still wear them sometimes.

And for lots of times, I still love dresses, pretty skirts.

There are so many fun options out there today.

I do and have always admired women who always look so put together, I just have never been able to manage that, though people say I look nice most of the time.

And most of us from the north mostly always wore black or navy blue,grey.

In the south, and warmer climates you do find you tend toward more colors, which can cheer you up!Smiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

In my family we still dress nicely for Holidays.  I think it is a sign of respect for the person who put the effort in to entertain us.  

Honored Contributor

One more thing lol!

I do like classic and tailored but 

I found the prettiest silky type pants in the sleepwear section-okay pajamas!

And also some cotton ones-really pretty colors and prints, plaids and not hot!

The first time I wore them my daughter said:"MOM! you cannot wear pajamas outside!"

And I said why, yes I canSmiley HappyWoman LOL And do you know every single time, and I am not exaggerating, someone has complimented me on each one!

And most ask me where I got  them?

So many fun and colorful ways to make comfortable very pretty as well!

And when it's time to really dress up, that is great too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i agree with OP.  i tend to put a lot of thought into what i will wear - leaning more to dresses, skirts, leaving jogging sets for at home, chores.  when i go to Gelson's to grocery shop in a dress i am often stopped by men who say it is so nice to see a woman "dressed."   i have a lot of clothes from years of working, and even though i have weeded out a great deal of the things that were marginal, i have a lot to choose from.and it is fun to do so. i think i stand out in a sea of sweat shirts, t-shirts, jeans, etc which has become a bit same-old, same-old to the eye.  different strokes for different folks, of course. i am comfy in a long skirt and pretty blouse, actually cooler in SoCal heat than slacks/capris etc.  

Are those men wearing suits and ties? If not, isn't a bit sexist for them to compliment you on being "dressed" when they aren't dressed up too?

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i agree with OP.  i tend to put a lot of thought into what i will wear - leaning more to dresses, skirts, leaving jogging sets for at home, chores.  when i go to Gelson's to grocery shop in a dress i am often stopped by men who say it is so nice to see a woman "dressed."   i have a lot of clothes from years of working, and even though i have weeded out a great deal of the things that were marginal, i have a lot to choose from.and it is fun to do so. i think i stand out in a sea of sweat shirts, t-shirts, jeans, etc which has become a bit same-old, same-old to the eye.  different strokes for different folks, of course. i am comfy in a long skirt and pretty blouse, actually cooler in SoCal heat than slacks/capris etc.  

Are those men wearing suits and ties? If not, isn't a bit sexist for them to compliment you on being "dressed" when they aren't dressed up too?

what does it matter what they are wearing?  i caught their eye - and they told me why in their way of complimenting. i wouldn't read anything more into it than that.  !!