Valued Contributor

Re: Fashion sales lines by hosts

Sounds condescending to larger ladies. Third portions??? I know they are trying to make a sale, but come on now.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say the lines that get me the most are the hosts claiming the different styles "LOOK GREAT ON ANY BODY SHAPE"..........oh my gosh....not even close...i hate to say

Gary and Carolyn are notorious for claiming that with D&C

styles also LG.......and lately i keep hearing Lori G. also state when things are petite sizing "just roll up the waistband (skirt and pants she said )  like we did in high school and the length will be fine".............half the time those rolls NEVER stayed that way....and i wouldn't spend $60+ on a piece of fashion only to have to roll it up once or twice and hope that it stays that way the whole time i am wearing it........really?

Honored Contributor

I don't see the problem.  You have the control.

Honored Contributor

The truth is that probably every one of us had moments when we say or think;   Gee I wish I would have worn something looser since I ate so much or  when going out somewhere think about wearing something that will hide your rolls you have etc.  Some may not care or say they don't care how they look but..  well I sure don't find it "cutsy" or merely a sales pitch - just the hosts being realistic because they probably all have had moments like that!  I know I get a poofy stomach after eating and it haappened even when I was size 5-7 so things like that they say are just realistic!  I also have never heard anyone say I am so happy to be overweight so I don't want clothing to make me appear less heavy!

Valued Contributor

You're right @SeaMaiden it is a back-handed put down and incredibly insulting if they would just stop and think for one second and put themselves in the place of weight challenged viewers when the hosts they themselves are likely rail thin.  How are these comments helpful to showing the features of an item they want you to buy?  Clearly it is not and they need to highlight the value of the item and not the personal challenges of their customers.  Well said and you are astute in your opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

All the hosts are salespersons and have been trained to know the target customer.  They also try to be our fiends.  Just a tactic.

Honored Contributor

The other thing that turns me off is when an obviously tiny host( this was on ShopHQ this morning) was commenting that she had to put on an extra small,.... instead of her usual extra extra small size because of all her extra eating during the pandemic....

I was like OK  then.....so rub it in that you are SO TINY.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

They all have their favorite lines .... 

No - I don't need this is every color, in fact, I don't "need" it in any color!

No - I don't want to dress it up or dress t down.  I buy clothes for specific times and places, and "never the twain shall meet."

No - I really don't want to jump out of bed in the morning and put it on, and wear it every day! 

No - I don't want it to last forever.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Alter Ego I've never understood why she says that either.  In all the years I've been watching QVC, they've never limited the quantity you can buy of anything.

Actually, the used to have items at a “Try Me” price, which were limited to one per customer. 

Valued Contributor

@Jackyl wrote:

I agree.  But those of us who have a bit of common sense, don't fall for these sales tactics at all.  I don't like that they are using the current COVID situation to try and sell products, I think that is overstepping the line, but we all should realize they are here to separate us from our money, not be our friends or family.  Don't get me wrong, I buy plenty from QVC, but it's items I want and can't find around here, not because a host told me I needed it.  The best one I heard was yesterday morning when the host was trying to talk people in buying underwear and said we should donate our old ones or turn them into rags.  Donate?  That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I don't think there is anything wrong with donating underwear if they are in good shape. They can be expensive to buy outright and low income people need all the breaks they can get.