Esteemed Contributor

Fashion pricing differences JEANS FOR EXAMPLE

I am a bargain hunter.  I shop by design, fit and color.  I often buy jeans and usually check out the prices always looking for some sort of sale or clearance or AS IS.  I cannot help notice the price  differences.  Over $100 for a pair vs what I can find in Walmart for less than  $20.   Even on the Q the prices are so different.  My QUESTION:  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE OTHER THAN PRICE FROM ONE PAIR TO ANOTHER?  ANYONE TELL ME, EXPLAIN? What makes one product so much for expensive than the other.  And don't get me started with handbags.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion pricing differences JEANS FOR EXAMPLE

I think they are all made in the same place.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Of course you always pay for a name. Not all jeans have the same fabric content. For instance when I buy jeans I want as much cotton in the Jean and less of the stretch. Also the weight of the fabric may be different. And then there is the fit. Not all clothes are created equal.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  Agree.  There are so many brands, I doubt there are that many manufacturers.  So much of Macy's Karen Scott brand looks like D&C to me I wouldn't be surprised if they are exactly the same just different prices.  IMO it all comes down to what the customer is willing to pay.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Answer:  The brand name.....in most cases, the fit and quality in others.

Honored Contributor

Don't know about jeans, but for clothing in general, it's quality of construction, how its made, where it's made, fabric, designer name, and popularity among buyers.  Better quality clothing, also more expensive, is made by seasoned seamstresses and seamsters who are paid more.  

Clothing made in Italy is usually more expensive because of Italians' talent for making clothing and using the best fabrics. Then place a high end designer's name on it and the price goes up.  

That's just skimming the surface concerning prices. Quality clothing can be purchased at lower prices; however, I have seen some buyers call something quality when I didn't think it was, so quality may be in the eyes of the buyer. 

Surprisingly, I have seen pretty good quality clothing on occasion at Walmart at low prices and wondered how did they do that?  Recently, a pin-striped cotton blazer at $45, on sale for $32, that easily looked $100.  4.7 rating surprising buyers, too.  

Super Contributor

Agree that fabric content is a factor. More cotton is often more $. Have noticed with the jeans I've bought that more $ jeans sometimes have more drape and are not as stiff. They can be more like the way jeans feel after you have washed them many, many times. To get this type of drape (or hang) in the jeans, the denim would be woven different or treated with chemicals/washing to make it softer. That extra step in processing would add to the final price.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For me when I find something that fits really good it's priceless. But I refuse to pay more than $50-ish for a pair of jeans and I don't care if they fit really good or not. In my world the dollar rules and not so much the brand name.

Honored Contributor

Like just about everything else ... even within brands, there's a difference in quality of fabrics, design and construction.  

Honored Contributor

All in all, I think bargain shopping costs me more than I save.  If I buy something I really want and love even if I pay more for it, I'm not hunting for something else.

And it's too easy to get in the mode of "Oh it's only $X, so I'll buy it and see" or "Oh they are on sale so I'll buy another one."  

Sometimes you get a false sense of it doesn't cost much, but I don't love it.  That is especially true for me if I buy inexpensive (relatively) makeup.  So I quit that.